Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JonasKjeldsenDK
Regular Visitor

Change SSAS connection

My department produce governed reporting to the organization. Not much self service yet.

So far we have build a lot of valuable reporting in Power BI connected to our Analysis Services test server. It's all done in the web app and not in Power BI designer.

Now we have deployed the cube into a production environment. How do I change the SSAS Connector to communicate with the production server instead of the test server?

Is it really not possible?

Should we rather use the Power BI designer to develop and deploy reports?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JonasKjeldsenDK

You need to download a new AS Connector for the new instance. I'm assuming this shouldn't be a problem as you would want your DEV and Prod AS instances in different environments...

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/471577-configure-a-power-bi-analysis-services-con...

Unless someone has found another way, I'm not aware that you will be able to move your reports/dashboards on to the new dataset (production). We've had to use the desktop (with AS connection) specifically for this reason, and in order to have a saved copy of our reports prior to deployment. You may have to rebuild your reports on the new production dataset. I would recommend you re-create in the desktop for now so you have a copy of your reports, and from that tool, you are able to switch data sources between Dev and Prod on the same report set.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@JonasKjeldsenDK

You need to download a new AS Connector for the new instance. I'm assuming this shouldn't be a problem as you would want your DEV and Prod AS instances in different environments...

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/471577-configure-a-power-bi-analysis-services-con...

Unless someone has found another way, I'm not aware that you will be able to move your reports/dashboards on to the new dataset (production). We've had to use the desktop (with AS connection) specifically for this reason, and in order to have a saved copy of our reports prior to deployment. You may have to rebuild your reports on the new production dataset. I would recommend you re-create in the desktop for now so you have a copy of your reports, and from that tool, you are able to switch data sources between Dev and Prod on the same report set.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors