Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

greggcampa

Can't refresh a Data Set from Excel file

Brand new to Power BI!  I hope someone can help with my newbie question.  I have excel files stored on a network drive that I used to create a report and dashboard.  Is there a way to link directly to the network files so that everytime they are updated, my report and dashboard update automatically or do I have to connect to the excel file and load them everytime?

Any input is appreciated.

Gregg

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @greggcampa,

You can also install and configure Power BI on-premises gateway, then add Excel data source under on-premises gateway and use the gateway to refresh your dataset. For more detailed steps about how to add Excel data source under gateway, please check my reply in this similar thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Scheduled-refresh-for-excel-file-with-o... .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
DQ
Frequent Visitor

If you want the Powerbi Dashboard in the Cloud do stay updated based on your Excel file . You will need to download and install the  personal gateway on your machine and setup the excel file as a data source. Then you can schedule refreshed. May require powebi pro version that has a 60 day free trial.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors