Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cgardyne
Helper I
Helper I

Can't publish pbix to power BI

After the latest update I can't publish a pbix to Power Bi.

I have the latest version: 2.46.4732.721 64-bit (May/2017) and when I try publish from the desktop app I get the following error:

Capture1.JPG

When I try manually update via Get Data -> Local File I get the following error:

Capture2.JPG

I've turned off OneDrive refresh but I'm still getting this error.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cgardyne If the only reports in the Service related to the dataset are in the PBIX file that you can republish, the only thing lost is the dashboard elements of visuals in those reports.

If you built other reports in the Service on top of the dataset, those would be lost. - In this case, I wouldn't recommend it.

Is there some reason why you can't just change the name of the PBIX file?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DrivesaTruck
Frequent Visitor

Have this issue today.  When I try to publish, the system just gets stuck.

I have to boot to get out.  Cancelling just sends the system on another endless loop.

When I get back in and retry publishing, it says that the report is already published.  This is not true.

I really need to get this work published soon.

Any ideas anyone?

@cgardyne Is this a new PBIX file, or the same one that you were using and your just pushing changes? Have you tried removing the other dataset/report and re-publishing (if it is the same file)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer if I remove the dataset what will happen to all the reports tied to it? This is an existing dataset that will have the same name that I'm trying to publish.

@cgardyne If the only reports in the Service related to the dataset are in the PBIX file that you can republish, the only thing lost is the dashboard elements of visuals in those reports.

If you built other reports in the Service on top of the dataset, those would be lost. - In this case, I wouldn't recommend it.

Is there some reason why you can't just change the name of the PBIX file?

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

In the end I changed the name of the report and now I can re-publish. I will have to leave the original data set there as it has about 10-15 reports tied to it.

Thanks for your help @Seth_C_Bauer!

Just as a heads up to anyone reading this thread looking for an answer:

I can't publish a pbix file if it has OneDrive refresh enabled.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors