Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

findbenwood

Can't get single sheet data when using Smartsheet Content Pack

I have been using Power BI desktop to show data from a Smartsheet sheet - I have published this but find that with it being on the desktop it needs to be refreshed and published manually so that my client can see the dashboard.

I thought it would be far easier to link the Smartsheet to powerbi.com directly and build the dashboard there but when I have linked smartsheet as a dataset I can't drill down for it to focus solely on one sheet. Instead it gives me an overview of all the activity on my smartsheet account overall. Is this all that is possible at this time or is there a way to use powerbi online as I have done on desktop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I love what I have seen so far with PowerBI but finding that finding answers online or via smartsheet is pretty difficult. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@findbenwood,

By connecting to Smartsheet Content Pack, it is impossible to drill down the dataset to focus solely on one sheet as that in Power BI Desktop.

Based on your description, when you use Power BI Desktop to connect to Smartsheet, you publish PBIX file manually to Power BI Service each time you get updated data, right? You don't need to implement manual update, you can set schedule refresh for your dataset in Power BI Service after you publish PBIX file to Service the first time.
1.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@findbenwood,

By connecting to Smartsheet Content Pack, it is impossible to drill down the dataset to focus solely on one sheet as that in Power BI Desktop.

Based on your description, when you use Power BI Desktop to connect to Smartsheet, you publish PBIX file manually to Power BI Service each time you get updated data, right? You don't need to implement manual update, you can set schedule refresh for your dataset in Power BI Service after you publish PBIX file to Service the first time.
1.PNG

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft Hi there. I am having a similar issue reagrding SmartSheet single worksheet updates. I originally configured a SmartSheet worksheet as a data source for one of my reports. I did this in Power BI Desktop and then published the report to Power BI Pro/Service. I'd like to schedule a refresh on the SmartSheet data periodically. This post was helpful but I am not seeing the same "Connect directly" option under the Gateway Connection settings within Power BI Pro (service). Any thoughts? Did Microsoft do aware with this or am I just not looking in the right place? See screenshot below. Thanks!!

Data Gateway Snapshot1.JPG

Hello everyone,

I have the same issue I couldn't find how to refresh sechedule with Smartsheet. 

Please advice

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors