Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mayankkapoor85
Frequent Visitor

Can't connect to Azure Database

hi community,

I have the latest version of Power BI installed on my desktop(2.47.4766.801 ) and I am trying to connect to an Azure SQL database.

I have entered all the login information correctly also from the azure management portal the firewall has been changed to accept my IP but still, i am getting an unauthorised user error. pls, see the attached screenshot. Any help will be appreciated.2017-07-05.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

got it fixed. gave my system to the developer through remote and he added the path and correct password. 

Thank you for your help

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mayankkapoor85,

Are you able to connect to Azure SQL Server from SQL Server Management Studio? Please define a IP range that contains your IP address in firewall rule and wait for 5 minutes, then check if you can connect to the Azure SQL database.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

got it fixed. gave my system to the developer through remote and he added the path and correct password. 

Thank you for your help

What do you mean "path and correct password"? We've definitely got the correct password for logging into the two azure databases we've tried (MySQL and MS SQL, tried via plain MS SQL option and via Azure SQL database option from the "Get Data" icon on toolbar), and tried combinations of usernames with the @ in and without, and using tcp:hostname.com as well as just hostname.com for the server name, I think I even tried tcp:x.x.x.x with an IP address that the azure.microsoft.net (or whatever it is) resolves to. Using Direct Query mode all the time, alternative credentials from Windows default, have even tried running PowerBI Desktop as an administrator and made a couple attempts to connect (though my user I login as on Windows, with a password, does have strong permissions).

Connections to the database work fine from the same Windows 10 install that the PBI desktop runs on when using any other method we've tried that should work, from the ms server management studio, or for MySQL from HeidiSQL and from command-line (and even from command line on a Linux VMware vm running on the same host). It won't connect; when trying to talk to the MariaDB (MySQL) on a different (non-Azure) host, that also works from all the other places, which doesn't have SSL enabled, I don't even see tcp packets arriving at the 3306 port and the firewall is not blocking them as any other client works to that one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors