Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

CRM Online & Power BI

Hello,

I'm going to develop a PBIX with Power BI Desktop. I've imported some data into the file and created a report.

Next i published the report to Power BI.com and I've embededd the some tiles into a dashboard.

Now comes my question:

If a other user want to view the report, he sees all the data - unfiltered! But in CRM he havent premissions to view the data. Okay, I've imported the data in the pbix file and refresh occous hourly. It is not a live connection .... but is there a way to filter automatticaly the data for the current user in the tile from power bi?

Thanks in advance!

Philipp

9 REPLIES 9

@Anonymous By default an end user will see what the report author has access to see. If you want to limit the scope of what they have access to, you could look into applying Row Level Security within the Power BI Desktop. details

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer Yes, this is true that the user see all the data that are stored in the datasets. I know RLS, but is this the way to secure a Power BI Dashboard in CRM Online? So I must reproduce the hirarchy security in every pbix file and map it to all the data.

Power BI can use URL Get Parameters, is this a way? But so I can only use shared reports and I cannot use the Report Tiles.

How do this the other users with CRM online? Do they only use Power BI for the controlling and top management and use SSRS for the operative reporting? ,,,,

Hi @Anonymous,

The method that pass report filters to Power BI using URLs  doesn’t apply to your scenario.

As Eno1978’s post, you would need to apply Row Level Security within your dataset in Power BI. This way, users can only view limited data in Power BI Dashboards, and after you add Power BI tiles to CRM dashboard, users can only see the data which is same as Power BI Dashboard’s.  

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft

Thanks for your reply - but why does the passing parameters via the URL doesn't match my scenario? If I load all my data into the Report, I can filter the data by the parameter that the user give via the URL. It is not the native way via the dashboars, but I can use reports as links or embedded web ressources.

Yes, RLS is a way, but the consequence is, I must reproduce the whole security model from CRM in the hirarchy and the roles from the CRM ...

My question is also, does anyone use Power BI in CRM for users with security context? Or I should better use SSRS with XML Fetch?

Hi @Anonymous,

Passing parameters via the URL just filters the report in a different dimension, it will not limit data with users logined, all users will see the same filtered report data no matter what permissions they have in CRM. And based on my reserach, SSRS with XML Fetch also doens't limit data with users logined.

However, with RLS, you are able to acheive your requirement that different users with different permissions will view different data.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

in CRM online I must also get all data in my report. RLS can't filter the data on the source, only the data in the report will be filtered.

But I don't only need filter on the user, I need also filter e.g. on the product id ....

It seems that the CRM Online adapter is only for the analytic and doesn't match the needs in the reality to provide a alternative for SSRS.

Can CRM online data be merged with other datasets like spreadsheets etc in PowerBI desktop?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, of course. You can merge all available sources with each other. This is only limited by available sources in pbi desktop and h

ok great. So essential it acts as an import. SO then the 1 gb data limit would apply too right?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors