Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Haderach
Frequent Visitor

Best Practise to share reports with our customer using their own dataset

Hello,

We are an ERP editor. We have started to look at powerBI a couple month ago.

We have so many ideas to integrate it our solution but we have a major question before to continue to explore PowerBI.

We have created many report on our own dataset examples with our own data model.

Now we would like to share these reports to our customers authoring them to their own dataset with of course the same data model. What is the best way to this ?

Is the group sharing ? The organizational content pack ? Service content pack ? Another way ?

Thank you for helping us.

Read you soon.

4 REPLIES 4
hubaz78

I have the same issue and i am trying to simplify the update process and do the minimal effort to update these reports periodically.

My case is having identical clients DB instances and i want to use same report on different DB instance depending on the client accessing the report.

Technically, I am working on a combination of one data source, one report, multiple groups, multiple roles.

until now i am on testing that, i will update you with the results later when it succeed.

@hubaz78

Did you find any solution ?

How did you manage to deploy sae report on different DV instance depending on the client ?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Haderach Not at the power bi service level but in power bi desktop you can leverage template and query parameters feature to build reports connecting to your data source. Then export it out as a template and send those templates to your client. Then open template in power bi desktop -> it prompts them to connect to their data source and reports gets displayed. Check out this blog post on how to do that.

Thank you for you answer and sorry for response delay.

In fact, I already knew the solution you propose with the pbit (template) file.

My final goal is the publish these report with their datasource in order to embed them into our application. 

It is too long to open x times the pbix for x customer, connect to their data source, and republish them on each account.

Any other idea?

Thank your for your help !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors