Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

heyheyhey
Frequent Visitor

Application with an API - connect to Power BI?

Hello,

I'm going to be really simplistic here, apologies in advance! I've previously worked with on-premise applications in my company where I've simply gone Get Data > SQL Server, chosen the relevant table(s) and it's smooth riding after that.

We've recently purchased a new SaaS solution whose data we wish to use in Power BI but that doesn't have an available connector. It does, however, have an open API. By that particular app having an API does it mean (-programmatically) we can hook it into Power BI? Do we need it be a specific type of API to do that? (Here's where my head hurts...!)

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@heyheyhey,

You can use “Get Data->Web” entry in Power BI Desktop or directly add connection information in Advanced Editor to connect to your API. There are some samples for your reference.

Analyzing Web page data using Power BI Desktop (tutorial)
Power BI – Connect to your secure API
API Strategies with Power BI

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@heyheyhey,

You can use “Get Data->Web” entry in Power BI Desktop or directly add connection information in Advanced Editor to connect to your API. There are some samples for your reference.

Analyzing Web page data using Power BI Desktop (tutorial)
Power BI – Connect to your secure API
API Strategies with Power BI

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I was able to connect to the API and refresh data in PowerBI desktop. I then Published the chart. 

How do I refresh the data in PowerBI Service? 

If I go to the Datasets tab, it says - your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again. What credentials is this looking for?

Thanks!

Were you ever able to figure out how to get the data to referesh in the service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors