Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jseek
Helper I
Helper I

Appending Excel Data To SQL Data

Hi all,

I am working with a source data set from Azure (SQL Server), however, the data is often not updated in a timely fashion.  I am able to manually pull the same data set, updated at the time I run it.  I then have Power Query set up to append the excel data set and remove any duplicate records with what comes from Azure (SQL), based on the timestamp from when the data was gathered.  However, this has resulted in the data set staying in limbo forever, never finishing the query changes when the changes are committed.

Has anyone tried to do anything similar and ran into the same issue?

7 REPLIES 7
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Your question is a bit unclear to me - I couldnt follow your last sentence in particular.  Also "Azure" is a very broad term - can you be more specific?

Anyway, perhaps you should try keeping the Query against "Azure" very simple and writing it straight to a "staging" Excel Table?  Then you can build your "append and remove andy duplicate records" logic in a Query that starts from that "staging" Table.

Update:  I went through step by step in the process.  It appears that it is actually the process to remove duplicates that is causing the performance lag.

let
#"Azure" = #"Azure SQL Data",
#"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({Azure, #"Excel Source"}),
 #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(Table.Sort(#"Appended Query",{{"Date Imported", Order.Descending}}), {"ID", "Entity"})
in
#"Changed Type"

Actually I wasnt suggesting a staging SQL table, but a staging Excel table. So you might just run the extract from SQL Azure and load that result into an Excel table. Then your Append and Remove duplicates steps would be working against local data, which can be faster.

But looking at your Query code I suspect there is just a lot of data to de-duplicate. Can you give us an example of "the query is large"?

Thanks, I clarified the post.  A SQL server hosted on Azure.  The query is large and I would think that adding another step - loading to an Excel table - would add additional issues and processing time.  Does the fact that this is a SQL server change the recommendation?

Agree with @mike_honey you should bulk load your data into a staging table of your Azure SQL Db and then remove dups and insert your data into the destination table by using a stored proc.

On large volume, ELT is better than ETL.

Notice that an Excel spreadsheet is limited to 1 million rows.

If you have to load data into a SQL Db, use a true ETL solution like SSIS or Azure Data Factory

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors