Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

giampitz
Helper I
Helper I

Analyze in Excel using EGW SSAS live dataset doesn't work

Although it is accessible in the dataset options, once i have downloaded the odc file (and updated the oledb provider to the latest RC3 version) Excel, after inserted my credential, is not able to connect to that and raises the error "The following system error occurred:".

Is it a limit of the Analyze in Excel feature or a bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
avive
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi giampitz,

Analyze in Excel for a report based on an on prem AS server is not yet supported. Blocking the option is the first step we are taking to avoid user frustration. Soon enought we plan to start working on an interim solution to create an ODC file that will include the connection string to the on prem AS directly.

I will update when the solution is available in the Service monthly update.

Sorry you had to go through this experiance, hopefully we will be able to make this scenario work for you soon

Thanks

Aviv

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
avive
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Hi giampitz,

Analyze in Excel for a report based on an on prem AS server is not yet supported. Blocking the option is the first step we are taking to avoid user frustration. Soon enought we plan to start working on an interim solution to create an ODC file that will include the connection string to the on prem AS directly.

I will update when the solution is available in the Service monthly update.

Sorry you had to go through this experiance, hopefully we will be able to make this scenario work for you soon

Thanks

Aviv

Hi avive,

thank you for the answer!

Ok about the ad interim solution but the chain will be complete only when published Excels will be able to work with Enterprise Gateway within the portal. 🙂

Bye,

giampitz

Analyze in Excel now supports AS on prem datasets, using an ODC that connects directly to the AS server on prem.

If we connect to a SSAS onprem dataset from PowerBI,  outside of our network, analyze in Excel will download an odc that needs direct access to tabular server. Why not having an odc with connection to the powerbi service? Could we use instead the olappump feature in IIS?

Yes, we are aware of that scenario and we do have a desire to allow connecting to AS on prem through the PBI model, never the less this is work we do not have a timeline for at this stage.

i suggest VPN-ing into your network and directly connecting to the AS server at this time, or like you have suggested use the IIS feature to remotely connect to AS onprem through the web

@giampitz I get the same behavior, and it was working the last time I had used it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors