Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Analyze in Excel - ODC File is Not Downloading

When I click "Analyze in Excel", the HTM file provided opens in a browser as a connection string of some sort, and does not provide an openable ODC file.

I've tried this in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. All browsers simply open the file as text and do not attempt to download the connection file to use in Excel. This is on Windows 10.

Anyone else having this issue? Are there any workarounds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I did figure out the issue: selecting Analyze in Excel on Firefox Developer Edition failed to open the resulting link in an expected way.

The alternative was to save the provided file (rather than open it in anything), which then allowed the service to give the proper download.

I realize the issue is odd, and hard to describe, but basically here's what happens:

After clicking Analyze in Excel, you're provided with a file prompt for the ODC file.

Open with: Excel provides a corrupted workbook with no data.

Open with: any browser provides only a text page with a connection string.

Solution:

Select Save File, then open your downloads file location and only THEN can you open this file in Excel.

If you avoid actually saving the file, the resulting file is an *.ods.htm file that is only textual in nature.

Here's an example of what not to do if you're using Firefox:

image.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I did figure out the issue: selecting Analyze in Excel on Firefox Developer Edition failed to open the resulting link in an expected way.

The alternative was to save the provided file (rather than open it in anything), which then allowed the service to give the proper download.

I realize the issue is odd, and hard to describe, but basically here's what happens:

After clicking Analyze in Excel, you're provided with a file prompt for the ODC file.

Open with: Excel provides a corrupted workbook with no data.

Open with: any browser provides only a text page with a connection string.

Solution:

Select Save File, then open your downloads file location and only THEN can you open this file in Excel.

If you avoid actually saving the file, the resulting file is an *.ods.htm file that is only textual in nature.

Here's an example of what not to do if you're using Firefox:

image.png

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please describe more details about your scenario? We need to know that if the above issue exists in all reports and if you are the creator of these reports.

Analyze in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later, make sure you are using Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 or later version and install the correct bit version of AS OLE DB provider, for more details about troubleshooting Analyze in Excel, please review this article.

Besides, to work around this issue, you can use Power BI publisher for Excel instead of Analyze in Excel. With Power BI publisher for Excel, you are able to analyze with a pivot table connected to your data in Power BI, and there’s no need to download .odc files, and no need to manually install OLE DB driver. You can check out this blog about how to use Power BI publisher for Excel.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I am not seeing this on my system and it is Windows 10. Have you installed the Microsoft AS OLE DB Provider for SQL Server 2016? After I click Analyze in Excel, I get a .odc file download and when I open it, Excel opens the file and I have my data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors