Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice needed - Best solution to configure Power BI Service to refresh data

Hi all,

I am a bit new to Power BI, so, pardon me if this is a newbee-like question.

Here is my setup:

Designing Dashboards & Reports from PBI Desktop the publishing & sharing it to PBI Service.

Data : Currently using excel files updated every 2 hours and refreshing manually the data.

Database : Hosted MySQL

MySQL Config.JPG

Now I am willing to work on real-time data or data updated on a regular schedule multiple times a day in Power BI service (I am guessing not using excel files anymore but changing my datasets source to hit MySQL DB).

After googling it, it seems that I should install and configure a Power BI Gateway and a MySQL connector, is this the best way to proceed ?

If so, is there a tuto or something that could help me out ?

Any comment or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

When you change data source of your report from Excel to MySQL database, you would need to add the MySQL data source within gateway in order to schedule refresh the dataset in Power BI Service. You can follow the instructions in this similar article.

Also make sure that you are able to connect to MySQL database from the machine that installing gateway, you can install MySQL workbench in the gateway machine to test the connection.

In addition, for Power BI free or pro users, it is possible to refresh 8 times for a dataset , and for Power BI premium users, it is possible to refresh 48 times for a dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

When you change data source of your report from Excel to MySQL database, you would need to add the MySQL data source within gateway in order to schedule refresh the dataset in Power BI Service. You can follow the instructions in this similar article.

Also make sure that you are able to connect to MySQL database from the machine that installing gateway, you can install MySQL workbench in the gateway machine to test the connection.

In addition, for Power BI free or pro users, it is possible to refresh 8 times for a dataset , and for Power BI premium users, it is possible to refresh 48 times for a dataset in Power BI Service.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your time.

Maybe I am trying to do something impossible here 😞

I am not on the MySQL Server itself but on an another server which connect to the hosted database using an SSH tunnel with public & private key (I use Navicat on this machine instead of MySQLWorkbench and am able to access the data).

What should I do ?

Google told me that using SSH is not possible and that gateway works only on Windows based machine.

I feel stuck...

Any ideas ?

@Anonymous,

MySQL over SSH connection is currently not possible, please vote this idea.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors