Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jessewysong
Helper III
Helper III

Accessing a dataset stored in Power BI online via Power BI desktop

Hey folks,

This might be an obvious one, but...

• I have an excel file stored in Sharepoint (in a Group that has a Power BI workspace)
  • I have a dataset created from that Excel file in Power BI online.
  • I want to use Power BI desktop to manipulate that dataset first, and create reports from it. 
  • I want the dataset to resfresh automatically. 

Is it possible? Until now, I have only used an Enterprise Gateway to access on premises SQL data and I can't figure out what I am missing. 

Edit: I should clarify, I can get the dataset to refresh just fine since its built on a a sharepoint excel file, but how can I get to the dataset via Power BI desktop which has more powerful report authoring and query editing options?

Thank you,

Jesse

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I found a potential soloution here: chopping everything off the link after the file name, INCLUDING .xslx, allowed me to get a little futher using the file link via the Get Data/Web interface in Power BI desktop. But then it wont let me authenticate with my organizational account. bear in mind I am the global office 365 admin for my company. I feel closer... but help! 

error2.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jessewysong
Helper III
Helper III

One thing that looked promising was punching in the web path of the Sharepoint file (in Power BI desktop, Get Data/Web), but that genrates the following error:

Capture.PNG

I found a potential soloution here: chopping everything off the link after the file name, INCLUDING .xslx, allowed me to get a little futher using the file link via the Get Data/Web interface in Power BI desktop. But then it wont let me authenticate with my organizational account. bear in mind I am the global office 365 admin for my company. I feel closer... but help! 

error2.PNG

Embarrased to admit I sorted it out, but getting the sharepoint file path link via excel, and deleteing everything >= the ? worked. For whatever reason the authetication error dissapeared this go around. 

Shout out to Matt Allington for the helpful blog post I found in another thread. 

Best,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors