Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Matrabsor
Regular Visitor

Mirroring in Fabric - Managed Identity error

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to mirror a newly set up Azure SQL Database with sample data. SAMI is activated and I have set up "Login and mapped database user" and a "contained database user". The firewall is set up towards fabric as well. 

Both users can access the database via SSMS and other tools, however when i try mirroring the DB in fabric i get this error code:
"The database cannot be mirrored to Fabric due to below error: You need to set up a managed identity for your SQL Server. Please create and turn on the managed identity and then try again."

Has anyone experienced this before?

Matrabsor_0-1713421089642.png

Mathias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Matrabsor
Regular Visitor

After multiple attempts and adding a security group as an admin in the Azure portal with my credentials, it finally worked. I'm not sure if this was the key to solving the problem or just a coincidence, but as they say, 'if it works, don't touch it'.

In retrospect, since many potential users of Fabric are former Power BI developers, the manual and documentation could benefit from more details, particularly around the use of the Azure Portal.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Matrabsor
Regular Visitor

After multiple attempts and adding a security group as an admin in the Azure portal with my credentials, it finally worked. I'm not sure if this was the key to solving the problem or just a coincidence, but as they say, 'if it works, don't touch it'.

In retrospect, since many potential users of Fabric are former Power BI developers, the manual and documentation could benefit from more details, particularly around the use of the Azure Portal.

Hi @Matrabsor 

Glad that your query got resolved and you were able to find some insights. Thank you for sharing the same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
Please continue using Fabric Community for further queries.

Thank you.

Matrabsor
Regular Visitor

Hi again and thanks for ur reply!

SAMI is enabled. We also tried setting up a UAMI to se if that fixed the issue, but still get the same error code. 

Mathias

Matrabsor_0-1713439298683.png

Hi @Matrabsor 

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Please reach out to our support team to gain deeper insights and explore potential solutions. It's highly recommended that you reach out to our support team. Their expertise will be invaluable in suggesting the most appropriate approach.

Please go ahead and raise a support ticket to reach our support team:

https://support.fabric.microsoft.com/support

After creating a Support ticket please provide the ticket number as it would help us to track for more information.

Thank you.

Hi @Matrabsor 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you've had a chance to submit a support ticket. If you have, a reference to the ticket number would be greatly appreciated. This will allow us to track the progress of your request and ensure you receive the most efficient support possible.

Thanks.

Hi again!
I am gonna give it another go later this week. If the problem still persists i will file a ticket 🙂

Thank you so far!

Mathias

v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Matrabsor 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

Apologies for the inconvenience that you are facing here.

I tried to repro the scenario and got the same error. 

vcboorlamsft_0-1713428307639.png

Enabling system-assigned managed identity successfully resolved the encountered error.

vcboorlamsft_5-1713428657813.png

vcboorlamsft_3-1713428581422.png

The error message you encountered when configuring mirroring suggests that a managed identity for your SQL Server needs to be set up and turned on. Managed identities are crucial for secure, seamless authentication between Azure services.

Could you please recheck once the the System Assigned Managed Identity (SAMI) of your Azure SQL Server?

For more details please refer : Enable System Assigned Managed Identity (SAMI) of your Azure SQL logical server

: Managed identities in Microsoft Entra for Azure SQL.

If the issue still persists, please do let u know. Glad to help.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.