Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jwryu
Helper I
Helper I

Bill including Smoothing(recent update)

Hello, 

is anyone have an idea about the recent update Capacity Platform Updates for Pause Resume and Capacity Metrics for Copilot and VNET Gateways | Micr...

What if I was using Fabric Capacity with reservations, the remaining cumulative overages and smoothed operations would be billed within the reservation or price as without the resevation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jwryu ,

Imagine you buy a reservation for 64 CU for 5000 usd. And you are running an F64. Whether the capacity is active or inactive you will keep paying 5000 a month. So pausing has no benefit (unless your capacity is in severe overload and you want to clear out the carry forward). If you do pause, any usage above 64 CUs will be at the PAYG rate of 0.18 cents per CU per hour.

The price is the payg price not the reservation price. If you have a reservation there is not much of a benefit of pausing your capacity.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jwryu ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

We have an update from internal team -

Fabric pause resume is only supported on F SKU's not P SKU's.

Hope this is helpful. Please let me know incase of further queries.

Thanks for your reply

unfortunately I do not exactly get your answer,, since i am using F SKU and considering to use it with 1 year reservation, it is important for me to know when bursting happens and I pause Fabric capacity before the smoothing is done(e.g. pausing right after the bursting happened) would it be charged as same price as the resevervation or price without the reservation?

Hi @jwryu ,

Imagine you buy a reservation for 64 CU for 5000 usd. And you are running an F64. Whether the capacity is active or inactive you will keep paying 5000 a month. So pausing has no benefit (unless your capacity is in severe overload and you want to clear out the carry forward). If you do pause, any usage above 64 CUs will be at the PAYG rate of 0.18 cents per CU per hour.

The price is the payg price not the reservation price. If you have a reservation there is not much of a benefit of pausing your capacity.

Is this PAYG cost applied until

A: the capacity returns to be within the SKU limits 

Or

B: For a fixed period of time eg 24 hrs? 

Thanks 

it helps a lot!

Thanks.

Glad to know that your query got resolved. Please continue using Fabric Community for your further queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

MayFabricCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors