Regular Visitor

Re: May 3 announcement FAQ

Hi Miguel, in that case would it be possible to update the Exclusions in the T&C to reflect this? It appears to be contradictory.

Power BI Admin

Hi again @freswood,

Done Smiley Very Happy

Data for Everyone! We mean it
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this FAQ. What about reports I've uploaded to PowerBI service and then published to web? Will the embed codes cease to work after June 1? 

Power BI Admin

[ Edited ]

Hey @joshmwolff,

Users of the free Power BI service will continue to have the ability to use Publish to Web. That means that any reports and embedded codes will still work.

Frequent Visitor

Awesome news! Panic attack over!! 🤓
Power BI Admin

[ Edited ]

Hi @shanemr18 and @Bjorn,

Sharepoint embedding to SharePoint doesn't change that much from its original licensing needs. You will basically have 2 scenarios now (one included with Power BI Premium):

1. As we communicated in the preview announcement: "The Power BI report web part requires all the viewers to have a Power BI Pro license. If your users don’t have a Pro license, they’ll be directed to PowerBI.com where they can enroll or start a Pro trial".

2. If the if the user that is trying to consume the embedded report does not have a Power BI Pro license but is part of a Power BI Premium instance, same viewer rights apply meaning that the user can view the report but collaboration features such as Analyze from Excel are not available, in line with regular Power BI Premium related features.

Both cases assume users embedding and consuming have SPO licenses.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

HI..  I currently provide dashboards to a number of free users within our business..  If I become a power user, will I be able to continue to share these dashboards with free users through the publish to Power BI service?  

OR will anyone who wishes to see my dashboards within my business also need to have a Power BI subscription??  

Or will I need to have a premium subscription which seems to be extremely expensive to service a small group of dashboard users within a single organisation!!!!!!

This change to the free service wreaks of money grabbing!!!

Power BI Admin

Hi @TezzaX,

Beginning June 1 distribution and sharing will be capabilities limited to Power BI Pro users. Equally, consuming content shared by others will also require a Power BI Pro license. You - and other users of the free service within your organization - may be eligible for the extended 12 month free trial of Power BI Pro. Power BI Premium would be another option for you once it becomes generally available later this quarter. You can visit our calculator to explore what might be best for you.

Frequent Visitor

Will Power BI embedded pricing remain in place, even though it is being merged with Premium? Becuase as a small business, we can't afford $5k for a single node each month to service a dozen or two clients (external users) who don't need editing, particularly when embedded would cost us less than 10% of that.  And becuase you've removed the ability to view a shared dashboard using Free, all would have to upgrade to Pro.  The issue here is not that the 10$ per month, I would cover that if I could.  But it is utterly unprofessional to ask clients to go through the hassle of signing up for a paid service just to access my service and have me send them a reimbursement check.  Furthermore, there's no simple way to onboard them into my account as they are all external users with thier own corporate accounts, policies, etc. The nice thing with the previous embedded is that they could login to my website, where they already had an account, to view their dashboard. Please tell me I'm misreading something.  Otherwise you've squeezed out a large number of small businesses.  

Power BI Admin

Hi @kbl1726,

We will be introducing additional SKUs for Power BI Premium that target embedded scenarios. While we aren’t disclosing details at this time, our approach is to add further pricing flexibility for embedded scenarios based on the needs of organizations building apps and their customers consuming them. Also, since recipients consuming content embedded in apps are licensed within Power BI Premium, they wouldn’t need to be licensed individually per user.