Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Lab 7 Exercise 1 - Can't connect to the Azure SQL Database

Hi,

For some reason, when I try and connect to the Azure SQL database for lab 7 I get the following error (please see screenshot below):

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

Ikenna

Capture.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Lab 7 Exercise 1 - Can't connect to the Azure SQL Database

I think I was being blocked by my work VPN

View solution in original post

All Replies
Frequent Visitor

I also got this error around 10:00 am EST and tried all the other responses and solutions and could not get it to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Regular Visitor

This could be because of azure firewall issue. In allowed IP addresses section get your external ip address added.This should solve ypur problem as it solved mine.

Frequent Visitor

Hello SaritaSenapati,

May you please let me know the proper steps to take to make sure I properly update the issue with firewall. Sorry it does not seem to be my side and I am not sure what steps to follow. Thank you

Regular Visitor

Steps to follow:

1) Google whats my IP. Search result will show you your External IP address.

2) Add your external ip address in azure by following the steps given in the below link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/sql-database/sql-database-configure-firewall-settings

3) Open powerBI desktop -> click on  get data->select azure->select microsoft azure sql database->enter server name -> click on import-> on your left you get two options windows and database-> click on database -> enter credentials -> click connect.

And if still doesnt work, then use power BI service(Power BI web version) to connect to the azure sql database.

Sarita

Sometimes, I also have same issue with you. But I click Retry button, it is worked for me, you can try it more time

Frequent Visitor

Sarita, I have the same problem, but i cant access to azure portal because i dont have account in it, it is an issue to solve by the course teachers? Please help me to change the firewall.

Regular Visitor

@lgarcia Hi, If you do not have access to the azure portal, you cant change the firewall settings. Try below two options and if you still face connection issues then contact your course teacher.

Option 1: Open powerBI desktop -> click on  get data->select azure->select microsoft azure sql database->enter server name -> click on import-> on your left you get two options windows and database-> click on database -> enter credentials -> click connect.

Option 2: use power BI service(Power BI web version) to connect to the azure sql database.

Regards,

Sarita

Frequent Visitor

I think I was being blocked by my work VPN

Very sorry, we still not repro the issue, I think you need to uninstall and reinstall Power BI, you can use latest version to try it