Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Lab 5 - Exercise 2; requires Silverlight capable browser for viewing Powerview reports?

When I click on  Lab 5 - USA report, I am getting the following error message from both  MS Edge and with Chrome as well:

"Power View reports require a Silverlight supporting browser to open in Excel online.  Please use a different browser"

When I click on View, I see the CubeFunctionReport and PivotTableReport but the PowerView1 tab is blank.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

-Sudip

Accepted Solutions
Established Member

Re: Lab 5 - Exercise 2; requires Silverlight capable browser for viewing Powerview reports?

@sschahal Hi Sudip, I just confirmed that I have the same issue and error message when trying to open the report in Edge, but it works in Internet Explorer. Can you give that a quick test to see if you can get the report to display in IE?

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

View solution in original post

Frequent Visitor

Re: Lab 5 - Exercise 2; requires Silverlight capable browser for viewing Powerview reports?

I resolved this by installing Firefox and enabling Silverlight to run on it.

My attempt to install Internet Explorer did not succeed because I already was running Edge.

Thanks,

-Sudip

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

@sschahal Hi Sudip, I just confirmed that I have the same issue and error message when trying to open the report in Edge, but it works in Internet Explorer. Can you give that a quick test to see if you can get the report to display in IE?

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

Frequent Visitor

I resolved this by installing Firefox and enabling Silverlight to run on it.

My attempt to install Internet Explorer did not succeed because I already was running Edge.

Thanks,

-Sudip

Frequent Visitor

I could not install IE as it said I was already running a later version (Edge) - so I tried Firefox and that worked (after enabling Silverlight).

Thanks,

-Sudip

Frequent Visitor

Report displays fine for me in IE on Windows 10 (same error as mentioned in this thread when using Edge though).

I managed to get the report to run in Internet explorer on Windows 10 but found that it kept, coming up with errors or dididnt show all the data on charts, trying to change the filtering also crashed the report requiring you to reload it. It also appeared to give different results...

[ Edited ]

I have a PC with Microsoft Edge and IE 11.  Of course exercise 2 does not work in Edge but it works fine on IE 11.   Make sure you have the latest update for Silveredge installed in your IE 11 browser.

Was able to work and complete my lab without any more problems.

Frequent Visitor

OK, this issue was reported in July of last year and confirmed a month later. Does anyone else think that 1) it should have been addressed in Microsoft's flagship Win10 browser by now, and 2) somebody would have thought to make a comment in the lesson plan not to use Edge by now?  I must be crazy, because one or the other seems like common sense to me, especially with all the hullabaloo about how many updates are being made in Power BI each week. Not one fix for a browser or a lesson plan?

Frequent Visitor

Thank you sschahal, Firefox worked for me also. 

Regular Visitor

Lab 5 - requires Silverlight capable browser for viewing Powerview reports? Any solution other than

Was there ever a solution found that did not require installation of another browser.  I have Chrome and IE 11 and neither seem to work.

Silverlight.jpg