Reply
Frequent Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-24-2016

Re: Lab 1 after appending I get the following error ......

Even after all the suggestions. Nothing really seem to work. Very frustating not able to answer the questions in excercise two resulting in failing the lab. Man Sad

Frequent Visitor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎08-11-2016

Re: Lab 1 after appending I get the following error ......

I ran into this problem today as well.  The solution provided by @mniinioja worked for me. 

 

I tried the solution @SamLester suggested, that one did not work.

 

Hopefully the course owners will have a look at this, and figure out what needs to be fixed in the input data set (or see if there's perhaps a PowerBI bug/change that's causing different behavior now). 

 

I'm using the July 2016 32-bit version of Power BI Desktop.  All regional settings are default English US.

Frequent Visitor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎08-11-2016

Re: Lab 1 after appending I get the following error ......

I made the changes suggested above to change locale on the date column.  Then I looked at the country column, clicked load more, and I was able to see all of the options.  Then I went back to the date column and tried to filter the dates per the exercise.  Then when I went back to the Country column and clicked load more, I got the same error again!  Even going back to the date column and trying to change the locale again doesn't solve it.

 

To get it to work for the exercise, I had to do the following:

1) Did the import of data from the folder

2) Went directly to the country column first, load more, and unchecked "Country"

3) Went to the date column and added the filter to only look at data after 12/31/1999

 

I've "sent a frown" and pointed back at this thread.

Frequent Visitor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎09-16-2016

Re: Lab 1 after appending I get the following error ......

I had done it so the system would accept it yesterday but with the wrong number of rows.  Went back to try to get the proper number of rows ( and therefore all the data) and am back to square one with the errors.   Neither solution is working for me.  My question besides how to do this is : Is the date column in both the Sales table and the International table supposed to be in date format or in text?  Seems like if that was clear it would be easier. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-25-2016

Re: Lab 1 after appending I get the following error ......

I was having same problem but I found the solution.

 

The problem:

 

The headers records from the international sales query that were inserted in the load process

 

Solution:

  • Load the folder with the Csv per country
  • Edit the International sales query
  • After loading the folder and before converting the data type to date, go to the country column.
  • Filter so that you exclude "Country" from the filter. Deselect it from the drop down. The fields should parse now.
  • Go on with the exercise and convert the date field to Data Type Date.

 

I think that the conversion failed because encountered a non date format in the records. Instead of Power BI ignoring it it just stopped the query there.

 

Let me know if it works for you.

 

Frequent Visitor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-26-2016

Re: Lab 1 after appending I get the following error ......

This fixed it for me, thanks!

Occasional Visitor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎02-10-2017

Re: Lab 1 after appending I get the following error ......

This worked for me as well - thanks!

 

Not an auspicious beginning for Power BI...

Frequent Visitor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎02-17-2017

Re: Lab 1 after appending I get the following error ......

Thank you! I spent all afternoon working on this and couldn't figure it out. I'm only on Lab 1 Exercise 2. This may be a long course for me!