Frequent Visitor

Re: Lab 1 Exercise 2 - Changing Data Type to Date

Hi Sam,

Glad to have your timely replies with detail explanation.

I have a more clearer picture of the questions objective now and able to know what sort of experience / knowledge set that the Labs/Excs aiming for deliver.

Thanks.

Louis

Frequent Visitor

The problem:

The File headers from the CSVs that were inserted during the data load of the folder.

Solution:

- Before converting the date to data type date do the following
- Go to Country column
- Apply Filter and filter out -deselect- the "Country" option.
- Go on with the date conversion to Data Type date and the rest of the exercise

Problem solved!

Frequent Visitor

Hi Sam

I have just started the course today and am on lab1 exercise 2. I had the same issues as others and followed the steps you mentioned above. 

After removing errors and adding filter, date after 31 Dec 1999, we have dates 6/21/2002 which has error and can’t be counted in the total when we answer the question ‘How many rows were imported from the International Sales query?’

The answer will be incorrect as we have removed the error rows.

Frequent Visitor

[ Edited ]

As far as I see, it's a question of date format incongruence between mm/dd/yyyy and dd/mm/yyyy. Since I'm outside US, my powerBI won't recognize the date format.

Solution: Go to File => Options and settings =>  Options => Regional Settings => change your country/region to English (United States).

Try again change the Date format in the column.

IMPORTANT: This Regional setting won't persist and you have to change it every time you start PowerBI.

(I hope Microsoft fixes the bug and returns me the credits for blow up the two attempts in that exercise, trying to figure out the solution for this problem)

Frequent Visitor

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the solution. I've been reading the forums. Can't get passed the error. The csv files can't seem to load, same error with the data type. Not sure what else to try. Sales loads OK, the International Sales (CSVs) do not. Tried removing errors, formatting as Date, still no luck.

Is there a bug of sort with the source files? A bit frustrating.

Many thanks in anticipation

Cheers, Leo