Reply
Frequent Visitor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-07-2017

2. Power BI Desktop Modelling > Optimizing Models for Reporting

i have been running into 2 issues with al lessons sofar, i am not able to get the date format to US date it always stays in the 1999-01-01 format never changes to the 1999/01/01 format that i see the instructors use.

 

Sofar this has not caused me any issues but now i am running into an issue with the lesson i mentioned in the subject of this post.

 

for the life of me i am not able to perform the date formatting the instructor is doing on the Date2 field, as far as i can tell i have done all the steps in the previous tasks exactly as they have, but all i can get is what is shown on the picturedate & data issue.PNG

 

My locale is set to english-us in the powerBI settings and i am not sure if it has to do with the fact that my dates are not in the right format to start with, or that something else is going on, i have edited the query and looked at the applied steps. From the original data i only copied the first column, changed the type to date and afterwards also tried "= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type1", {{"Date 2", type date}}, "en-US")" to get it into the correct format, but no matter what i do it always comes up with the above on my visualisation.

 

any one able to give me some pointers whats going on?

 

thanks

 

Member
Posts: 138
Registered: ‎03-10-2016

Re: 2. Power BI Desktop Modelling > Optimizing Models for Reporting

Please confirm that you already change Date Type "Text" to "Date". the Date format change to "1/1/1999"

Frequent Visitor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-07-2017

Re: 2. Power BI Desktop Modelling > Optimizing Models for Reporting

as you cans ee from this = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type1", {{"Date 2", type date}}, "en-US")" the colum is a date type, but the formatting is still 1999-01-01

Frequent Visitor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-07-2017

Re: 2. Power BI Desktop Modelling > Optimizing Models for Reporting

i figured this out, its is a 2 step issue

 

first problem was that the date format was not being shown correctly in my data queries, i managed to solve this by setting my PC region settings to use the english US format. now Power BI is using this as the default setting on loading files. This made it so that changing my date from text to date type shows the US formatting M/D/YYYY

 

the second problem i had is that even after changing the bove to be correct, every time i pulled the date column onto my visualisation it also shows the quarter etc. i manged to solve this by changing a Data Load setting. I unchecked the Auto Date/Time setting. After this i could pull the Date field onto the visualisations and would only see the date as expected and no Quarter information.

Member
Posts: 138
Registered: ‎03-10-2016

Re: 2. Power BI Desktop Modelling > Optimizing Models for Reporting

Great.