Power BI Team

Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

Yes, the limitations are

A1/EM1 - 5QPS, A2/EM2 – 10QPS, A3/EM3 – 15QPS

Frequent Visitor

Just new to Power BI as a developer and was looking to use it embedded for my first client but after reading about these licensing changes I don't really see if there is much point in investing any more time into it now.  I will start looking for other products that may be better suited to a smaller businesses / less users.  Also I would be concerned that the pricing model may change again and reports hosted within the Power BI service may no longer be an affordable option for these smaller customers.

Its a shame because it was such a good platform to develop on.

Super User

@Weka I'd argue that with the consolidation of the API's and now the easier access into Embedded licensing for a pay as you go model with the "A" sku's that the embedded story is the best it's been... I would also say it is in a much more stable position than previously where you had multiple APIs, limited paths to license and just a ton of gotcha's.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG MSBIWI
Frequent Visitor

I agree with Weka. It's difficult to trust Microsoft with all these changes. Nothing guarantee us that the licensing model isn't going to change next year to something impossible to pay if Microsoft chooses to. It creates a big risk for a small/medium company to use Power BI as the main BI tool investing development time and effort just to be unable to pay for the service next year.

As a practical case, one of our customers wants to implement a BI solution that it's proyected to last 3 to 4 years. We are in charge of building the budget for this project and are required to guarantee that the prices won´t change significantly during this period.

Hi all.  I've reviewed this thread and some of the associated documents on the subject and am still rather confused.

I'd like to show Power BI content from the Power BI Service on video boards within our offices. It sounds like Embedded is the proper way to go and am looking at building an .Net web app using the Power BI apis to show Power BI reports on a page which could then be embedded in an IFRAME on our current video board solution. The app would authenticate and only one Power BI account should be needed in this scenario. Note we are not using SharePoint Online as of yet so it would appear a custom app would be required. My organization is currently licensing users with per person Pro licenses and has not yet gone to premium as we will have less than 300 users.

My questions are:

• If we were to develop a web app using the Power BI APIs for this purpose am I correct in understanding that we will need Embedded and cannot do the authentication and rendering without this licensing level?
  • Can we use an "A" SKU or do we need to go to an "EM" for this type of functionality? We would not go to "P" given we only have 300 users.
  • We need to support Direct Query in our solution with access to on-prem databases. It sounds like there are some limitations on direct queries in the new embedded skus but it is not completely clear. What limitations are there on Direct Query and embedded?

I've looked at Display Monkey that does a similar thing but I'm assuming its method of using Oauth to authenticate against one user account and then the Power BI apis to render is not acceptable given our licensing agreements and pro licenses or we would still need to pay for Embedded if we were to adopt this.

Any help is much appreciated!

Power BI Team

• If we were to develop a web app using the Power BI APIs for this purpose am I correct in understanding that we will need Embedded and cannot do the authentication and rendering without this licensing level? [ae] if all your users have a PRO license you do not need a capacity
  • Can we use an "A" SKU or do we need to go to an "EM" for this type of functionality? We would not go to "P" given we only have 300 users. [ae] When you start sharing with FREE/non Power BI users, you need a capacity, you can use an A SKU
  • We need to support Direct Query in our solution with access to on-prem databases. It sounds like there are some limitations on direct queries in the new embedded skus but it is not completely clear. What limitations are there on Direct Query and embedded? [ae] A1 limitation = 5 QPS, A2 = 10 QPS, A3 = 15 QPS, A4 = 30 QPS, A5 = 60 QPS, A6 = 120 QPS
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

If we as an ISV create an application using PBI Embedded, can our customers still use the PBI Service?

Thanks for the response avive.   I really appreciate it.

Regular Visitor

Hi avive

So if we chose A1 and we have 5QPS, does it mean that queries still get executed, but there might be a delay?

Another question. If we using Import instead of DirectQuery, does it somehow affect the dedicated capacity? 

Hosting model and executing refresh takes resources from our capacity or it is hosted and executed somewhere on MSFT side?

Thanks

Nick

Highlighted
Power BI Team

So if we chose A1 and we have 5QPS, does it mean that queries still get executed, but there might be a delay? [aviv] queries get executed at all times, but will start piling up in a queue if there isnt enough power to handle them, which will result in longer durations to load the embedded Power BI artifact for your customers

If we using Import instead of DirectQuery, does it somehow affect the dedicated capacity [aviv] cached models are using your capacity. If you are willing to buy AAS or SQLA on top of PBIE obviousely you get more 'horse power' to support more load/usage, if you leave it all to PBIE to host your cached models then the same power is used for both rendering and querying and refreshing your models.