Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

petermcnally
Advocate I
Advocate I

streaming combine data

Hello,

I have a streaming dataset that I am visualizing in a dashboard.  The dataset is coming off sensors.  I have a lookup table that conatains attribute information I would like to join to the streaming data so that I can see it in a visualization.  E.g., it isnt't very user friendly to show temperature data for sensor 2e252ff136ebc358.  I would like to say that is the Kitchen sensor instead.

How can I do this?

Thanks,

Peter

5 REPLIES 5
petermcnally
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello,

I have a streaming dataset that I am visualizing in a dashboard.  The dataset is coming off sensors.  I have a lookup table that conatains attribute information I would like to join to the streaming data so that I can see it in a visualization.  E.g., it isnt't very user friendly to show temperature data for sensor 2e252ff136ebc358.  I would like to say that is the Kitchen sensor instead.

How can I do this?

Thanks,

Peter

How are you streaming the data, via the REST API's? I would think that the "right" way to do this would be to pipe your telemetry data up to an Azure IoT Event Hub, connect the data to Azure Stream Analytics and then pipe the output to Power BI.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the reply.  I am simply following the tutorial that was posted here.  My data is coming straight from a Raspberry Pi device into Power BI.  I am not using Azure at all.  

It is pretty cool to get it up and running, but I am experiencing a few issues. The Streaming API is in Preview, so that is to be expected.  Do you know if there is a way to provide feedback to Preview features?  Unfortunately the comments are closed for the blog posts related to the Streaming API.  

HI Peter, I am following the same example, but I got some errors while I am wokring in python, I have no experience with pyton. 

I got below error

"

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\powerbi-python-iot-client-master\uploadDHT22Data.py", line 8, in <module>
import Adafruit_DHT as dht
ImportError: No module named Adafruit_DHT

"

could you help to solve it.

thanks

Piggybacking off of @Greg_Deckler, I would want to know if you are using a Stream Analytics Job to query your Event Hub data and output it to Power BI.  If so, you would likely need to do the lookup to rename your fields or records within your Stream Analytics query, and not at the Power BI side.  I am not 100% sure of this, but that would be my first thought.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.