Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

stream data from O365 list using console application

Hi Team,

As part of POC, we are analyzing the features of Power BI REST API to stream line data from O365 sharepoint List to POWER BI online.as part of this exercise, we created a console application to read data from list and import it as a data set in POWER BI. But, where we were exactly struck is we are unable to implement the code for dynamic update of data in Power BI , when we make an update or insert of data to sharepoint list. Can you please provide any pointers on how to implement this functionality.
Thanks in advance. Please let us know if you require any additional information.

Regards,
Sivapratap.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous wrote:

HI Buddy,

Thanks for the reply.

When i did some research on Power BI desktop version, i have seen a way to connect data to Sharepoint Online List abd publish the file to Power BI Online. So, here are my next set of queries related to Power BI. Please correct me if i am wrong

1. Is it possible to fetch data from two different sharepoint list and publish it as a dataset to Power BI Online. (FYI, the two lists are connected using the lookup column)

2. If the above scenerio is possible, is there a way to refresh the dataset which is a combination of two lists.

3. One of the link related to Power BI says that, automatic refresh will trigger on a daily basis for the free version.

4 When the refresh triggers, will this refresh dataset when we update any field in the sharepoint list.

Please advise on the above set of queries.

Regards,

Sivapratap.

@Anonymous
1. You can set more than one.two.three...different sharepoint lists in one dataset, I don't excatly know the limitation.

2. It's ok to refresh a dataset containing many sp lists.

3&4. It should update all the information of the lists.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Team,

As part of POC, we are analyzing the features of Power BI REST API to stream line data from O365 sharepoint List to POWER BI online.as part of this exercise, we created a console application to read data from list and import it as a data set in POWER BI. But, where we were exactly struck is we are unable to implement the code for dynamic update of data in Power BI , when we make an update or insert of data to sharepoint list. Can you please provide any pointers on how to implement this functionality.
Thanks in advance. Please let us know if you require any additional information.

Regards,
Sivapratap.

@Anonymous

Power BI REST API doesn't support update data as of now, you can vote this idea Update rows Rest API up.

As a workaround, you can only delete all the rows and add all rows of your sharepoint list. Be aware of Power BI REST API limitations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI Buddy,

Thanks for the reply.

When i did some research on Power BI desktop version, i have seen a way to connect data to Sharepoint Online List abd publish the file to Power BI Online. So, here are my next set of queries related to Power BI. Please correct me if i am wrong

1. Is it possible to fetch data from two different sharepoint list and publish it as a dataset to Power BI Online. (FYI, the two lists are connected using the lookup column)

2. If the above scenerio is possible, is there a way to refresh the dataset which is a combination of two lists.

3. One of the link related to Power BI says that, automatic refresh will trigger on a daily basis for the free version.

4 When the refresh triggers, will this refresh dataset when we update any field in the sharepoint list.

Regards,

Sivapratap.

@Anonymous wrote:

HI Buddy,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Sivapratap.

@Anonymous
1. You can set more than one.two.three...different sharepoint lists in one dataset, I don't excatly know the limitation.

2. It's ok to refresh a dataset containing many sp lists.

3&4. It should update all the information of the lists.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.