Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Wojzeh
Regular Visitor

steepest learning curve for Qlikviewer?

Hello PowerBIers!

What would you suggest for a former QlikViewer as learning path? for a Developer, I mean.

- Training materials/Tutorials (other than https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/)

- Certification?

- Exam preparation plan?

Merci

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Wojzeh

What would you like to do with Power BI then?

For data reporting representation purpose, you can start to be familiar the visuals with the mentioned link. A further step, to re-model the dataset, you will have to learn on DAX and PowerQuery(not very necessary) language.

For Power BI integration with your own app, you can start with What can developers do with Power BI, also with What is Microsoft Power BI Embedded. Those two feature do the similar thing, say embedding a report in your application. The mainly difference between them is where you publish the reports, former to Power BI Service(AAD integrated), latter to Azure Workspace.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mi2n
Employee
Employee

As a former "Qlikviewer" I can say that Power BI is easy to learn if you are familiar with excel formulas.

You would have gotten used to writing lines and lines of scripts in Qlikview to fetch and modify data, which will now be replaced with "select-drag-drop" transformations.

From the visualizations perspective, Power BI is not as strong as Qlikview. You would often say "Doesn't Power BI support this simple thing!" 🙂 But you will get used to it.

This community is a good place to start learning stuff about Power BI. Good luck!

Wojzeh
Regular Visitor

Thank you!

Happy to see that I am not the only one who went this way!

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Wojzeh

What would you like to do with Power BI then?

For data reporting representation purpose, you can start to be familiar the visuals with the mentioned link. A further step, to re-model the dataset, you will have to learn on DAX and PowerQuery(not very necessary) language.

For Power BI integration with your own app, you can start with What can developers do with Power BI, also with What is Microsoft Power BI Embedded. Those two feature do the similar thing, say embedding a report in your application. The mainly difference between them is where you publish the reports, former to Power BI Service(AAD integrated), latter to Azure Workspace.

Thank you very much,  v-lvzhan-msft !

My first goal as a developer, I guess, will be modeling in connection to Dynamics AX2012/365BO.

@Wojzeh

Regarding data modeling, you'd have to learn DAX and PowerQuery.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.