Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

callum
Helper II
Helper II

"Cannot find name 'object'" when installing lodash

Hi,

I had a working visual that I wanted to incorporate lodash into. The only change I made was running

npm install --save lodash @types/lodash

and now my TypeScript fails to compile, with the following messages:

info   Building visual...
 error  TYPESCRIPT  C:/git/power-bi-radar/node_modules/@types/lodash/index.d.ts : (9240,74) Cannot find name 'object'.
 error  TYPESCRIPT  C:/git/power-bi-radar/node_modules/@types/lodash/index.d.ts : (13129,29) Cannot find name 'object'.
 error  TYPESCRIPT  C:/git/power-bi-radar/node_modules/@types/lodash/index.d.ts : (20002,33) Cannot find name 'object'.

From Googling, it seems that this is possibly because only later versions of TypeScript support an "object" type (although I may be wrong here), so perhaps the version bundled with Power BI is an outdated one? I'm not 100% sure, just throwing the idea out there.

One thing I found weird was that I haven't even made any reference to lodash in pbiviz.json or in tsconfig.json. package.json is the only file to have changed (well apart from node_modules), so I don't understand how it even knows to try and use lodash anyway. But that's besides the point. Plus I've tried adding various bits to both the aforementioned files and still get the above errors anyway.

If desired I can paste the specific lines that the errors refer to.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @callum

You're right. The @types/lodash@4.14.71 is for TypeScript 2.5, but Power BI Visuals Tools (pbiviz) use TypeScript 2.1.5.

Please use @types/lodash@4.14.56 instead.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-viig
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @callum

You're right. The @types/lodash@4.14.71 is for TypeScript 2.5, but Power BI Visuals Tools (pbiviz) use TypeScript 2.1.5.

Please use @types/lodash@4.14.56 instead.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.