Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

power BI embedded vs Power BI Rest API

with all the new updates to power BI embedded, is embedding using power BI Rest API and power BI embedded the same?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

with all the new updates to power BI embedded, is embedding using power BI Rest API and power BI embedded the same?

@Anonymous

If Power BI Embedded refers to the new Power BI Embedded capacity-based SKUs, then the answer is YES. Two recommended embedding features at this moment are listed below, they're using the same REST APIs.

As to the legency Power BI Embedded workspace collections which is being deprecated, the answer is NO, it uses a set of Azure REST APIs.

If you're still using Power BI Embedded workspace collections, consider migrate it to Power BI before decmission(till 2018 Jun, as far as I know).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

If Power BI Embedded refers to the new Power BI Embedded capacity-based SKUs, then the answer is YES. Two recommended embedding features at this moment are listed below, they're using the same REST APIs.

As to the legency Power BI Embedded workspace collections which is being deprecated, the answer is NO, it uses a set of Azure REST APIs.

If you're still using Power BI Embedded workspace collections, consider migrate it to Power BI before decmission(till 2018 Jun, as far as I know).

1. I need some clarifications on powerbi embedded capacity

1. Are the Powerbi REST API's any different as compared to App workspace collection?
    2. I have my embedded application (based on App workspace collection) which I am using for my customers, do I need to change my application when migrating to Powerbi Embedded or my application works as it is working now?
    3. When I do migrate my reports to Powerbi Embedded where can I see all my reports from azure portal?

Any Explanation to the above scenarios will help me alot 
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anmolgan : i am just starting on powerbi embeeded .can you help me where to start on please

IMHO Microsoft Power BI Embedded nomenclature has been a bit paradoxal and confusing.
Power BI Embedded [as we first came to discover and use it] was first introduced as an Azure Portal service
based on Workspace Collection-Workspace topology service. That strategy has been officially removed
from Azure Portal with last June Power BI Premium announcement,
Microsoft team described it as a fusion of both Power BI Embedded and Power BI REST API into one main option,
though we cannot really talk about a real fusion in this case but rather a simple removal of a former service.
Now Microsoft is still using the same Power BI Embedded nomenclature in another context...
Oh you mean thaaaaat Power BI Embedded!!!?? Just saying...

Some more clarification please....

I want to use the REST API's in the "App Owns Data" model - We are an ISV and our users aren't Power BI users.

I downloaded the sample "App Owns Data" sample code and it works just fine.  I haven't set up any Embedded service, I haven't provisioned any capacity.  Why can't I just release my app to my customers and have them run it?

If I can't, how do I go about provisioning capacity? Is there some change to the api URL or something?

And finally, where is any of this documented?!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.