Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JohnKris
Regular Visitor

event.detail object does not give me dataPoints values

Hi,

I have embedded a powerBI report with JavaScript and I am able to set a function that gives me the event.detail data printed out to a separate div element.

This is the function that does this:

//This function run when data is selected in my embedded PowerBI report
function initializeDataSelection(report, $dataSelectedContainer) { report.on('dataSelected', event => { var data = event.detail; $dataSelectedContainer.text(JSON.stringify(data, null, ' ')); }); }

When I click on some data in my PowerBI report, the following is printed out to my dataSelectedContainer div:

{
  "report": {
    "id": "anonymized",
    "displayName": "anonymized"
  },
  "page": {
    "name": "ReportSection",
    "displayName": "anonymized"
  },
  "visual": {
    "name": null,
    "title": "anonymized",
    "type": "slicer"
  },
  "dataPoints": [
    {
      "identity": [
        {
          "target": {
            "table": "anonymized",
            "column": "anonymized"
          },
          "equals": "TESTVARIABLE"
        }
      ],
      "values": []
    }
  ],
  "regions": null,
  "filters": []
}

The data i need is the dataPoint "values": [] (shown in red above)

Questions:

1. Is this feature not supported yet?

2. Is this the wrong object to use to retrieve the dataPoints[0].values array?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JohnKris wrote:

Thanks for the update.

Two questions:

1. Could you ask the development team for a date/week as to when the **values** array will be fixed?

2. Is it possible to catch deselect event? (when you click e.g. a bar graph the first time it, and then clicking it again, i.e. deselecting)

Thanks!

1.We don't contact the development team directly, to get any update, you can follow the bug track on github.

2.So far it seems impossible. I'm going to escalate a content request for more detailed documents on Power BI Javascript API.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@JohnKris

That is a feature not implemented yet. Check "**values** array (In Progress)" at Handling Events. The development team said it will take at least a few weeks until a fix gets to production.

Thanks for the update.

Two questions:

1. Could you ask the development team for a date/week as to when the **values** array will be fixed?

2. Is it possible to catch deselect event? (when you click e.g. a bar graph the first time it, and then clicking it again, i.e. deselecting)

Thanks!

@JohnKris wrote:

Thanks for the update.

Two questions:

Thanks!

1.We don't contact the development team directly, to get any update, you can follow the bug track on github.

2.So far it seems impossible. I'm going to escalate a content request for more detailed documents on Power BI Javascript API.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.