Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ccleverley
Regular Visitor

When data loaded via API, for Date fields the Visualization As Year, Quarter, Month, Day is missing.

I load the dataet,table and table data via an API.

On the Cloud I go to the Steamable data sources. (Dutch GUI - I may not have the correct English name for that.)

I create a new chart. Line Diagram. I drag a date field to the AS part of the chart. 

If I do that with a table that I created in the Desktop then I get the very useful Year Quarter Month Day helper columns underneath the Date field that I just dropped.

With data loaded from the API I do not get these helper fields - the date stays as a flat date. (And lets be honest - noone is going to do a serious line chart on single dates.)

The workaround would be to load year, year-month and year-quarter fields. But that is not very user firendly....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TedPattison
Employee
Employee

If you created a dataset and a table with the Power BI REST API, you have created a streaming dataset which is different than the datasets you created when uisng the data import model in Power BI Desktop. There are several cool features for imported mode datasets that are not available on streaming datasets such as the automatic data heirarchy support.

The solution is to modify the code that is adding rows into the table in the streaming dataset. Whjen you create the dataset and table, add new columns for Year, Quarter and Month and write a bit more code to add those extra columns when calling into the Power BI REST API to create new rows.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@ccleverley

That seems the limitation for Streaming dataset. You can check this idea stream date field hierarchy and vote it up.

Also check a similar thread here.

TedPattison
Employee
Employee

If you created a dataset and a table with the Power BI REST API, you have created a streaming dataset which is different than the datasets you created when uisng the data import model in Power BI Desktop. There are several cool features for imported mode datasets that are not available on streaming datasets such as the automatic data heirarchy support.

The solution is to modify the code that is adding rows into the table in the streaming dataset. Whjen you create the dataset and table, add new columns for Year, Quarter and Month and write a bit more code to add those extra columns when calling into the Power BI REST API to create new rows.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.