Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mateusz
Regular Visitor

What is a difference between appsource apps and online services and how to build both of them

Hi All,

In my organisation we are considering exposing our data via Power BI app / online service. Not even sure if these two are different but whenever I work with Desktop Power BI under Get Data -> Online Services I see way less options than in Web Power BI. So me questions are:

* are AppSource apps the same as Online Services? If not what are the differences? How do you build and publish both of them?

* what is the technical challenge to actually build an app / online service? Is there any documentation regarding this process? Is it a web app implementing couple of contracts defined by Microsoft?

Thanks in advance for making it clear

--

Mateusz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Mateusz wrote:

Hi All,

In my organisation we are considering exposing our data via Power BI app / online service. Not even sure if these two are different but whenever I work with Desktop Power BI under Get Data -> Online Services I see way less options than in Web Power BI. So me questions are:

* are AppSource apps the same as Online Services? If not what are the differences? How do you build and publish both of them?

* what is the technical challenge to actually build an app / online service? Is there any documentation regarding this process? Is it a web app implementing couple of contracts defined by Microsoft?

--

Mateusz

@Mateusz

Usually they're the same, for example when connecting to Google Analytics, the online documentation says

The Google Analytics content pack and the connector in Power BI Desktop rely on the Google Analytics Core Reporting API

For reports design purpose, I'd suggest you use Power BI desktop. Desktop contains a whole suite of tools(DAX, PowerQuery) to create models. After designing, you can publish reports to Power BI.service for sharing.

You could start your Power BI journey from this starting page.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Mateusz wrote:

Hi All,

--

Mateusz

@Mateusz

Usually they're the same, for example when connecting to Google Analytics, the online documentation says

The Google Analytics content pack and the connector in Power BI Desktop rely on the Google Analytics Core Reporting API

For reports design purpose, I'd suggest you use Power BI desktop. Desktop contains a whole suite of tools(DAX, PowerQuery) to create models. After designing, you can publish reports to Power BI.service for sharing.

You could start your Power BI journey from this starting page.

@Mateusz I'm not sure the question was really answer, as I have the same question and the response left me more confused.

Let's say I want to publish, for Power BI web, an APP, which is accessed by Get Data >> (under Microsoft AppSource >> Services ((Get), then have my App listed on there. Let me know the steps, and licenses needed for me to publish an app, so when my customers sign up for a free Power BI web version, they just navigate to Get Data, then Services under AppSource and see my App/Product listed, just as Zen Desk, or Google Analytics is.

Thanks, Scott  

@Mateusz I'm not sure the question was really answer, as I have the same question and the response left me more confused.

Let's say I want to publish, for Power BI web, an APP, which is accessed by Get Data >> (under Microsoft AppSource >> Services ((Get), then have my App listed on there. Let me know the steps, and licenses needed for me to publish an app, so when my customers sign up for a free Power BI web version, they just navigate to Get Data, then Services under AppSource and see my App/Product listed, just as Zen Desk, or Google Analytics is.

Thanks, Scott  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors