Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ConnectedRoman
Frequent Visitor

Visual Studio Code cannot find VisualUpdateOptions

Hello,

I'm currently trying to learn how I can create custom visuals and PowerBI.

This is the guide I'm following. I'm stuck at the "Adding Databinding to Bar Chart" part. Specifically where I have to create the visualTransform function. 

When I write the method head, Visual Studio Code underlines "VisualUpdateOptions" and "IVisualHost" red, saying it can't find those. 

Error.PNG

I have copied the dependencies from the package.json on github into the package.json of my project and installed them. I also added all the dependencies into the pbiviz.json and tsconfig.json.

When I download the project from github and run it it works, without being underlined.

What am I missing?

UPDATE: The problem was that I didn't specify the barChart.ts file in the tsconfig.json. 

FIx.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi ConnectedRoman,

From what I see from the code you provided, it seems Visual Studio Code [using pbiviz new ... ] has generated a v1.7.0 version while the sample demo you're refering to was built in an earlier v1.5.0 version. So if you use any portion of the sample demo "AS-IS" - particularly pbiviz.json or tsconfig.son this may generate conflicts with your version some point and may be the reason you see the error. 

So in order to avoid conflict and use demo code sample "AS-IS" you'll either have the choice to import a v1.5.0 code version in your app, under the .api folder

apifolder.png

or keep your existing v1.7.0 version and make a double-check to make sure any piece of code you may have borrowed from demo sample is pointing to the right version, especially pbiviz.json

pbiviz.png

and tsconfig.json
tsconfig.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MawashiKid
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi ConnectedRoman,

From what I see from the code you provided, it seems Visual Studio Code [using pbiviz new ... ] has generated a v1.7.0 version while the sample demo you're refering to was built in an earlier v1.5.0 version. So if you use any portion of the sample demo "AS-IS" - particularly pbiviz.json or tsconfig.son this may generate conflicts with your version some point and may be the reason you see the error. 

So in order to avoid conflict and use demo code sample "AS-IS" you'll either have the choice to import a v1.5.0 code version in your app, under the .api folder

apifolder.png

or keep your existing v1.7.0 version and make a double-check to make sure any piece of code you may have borrowed from demo sample is pointing to the right version, especially pbiviz.json

pbiviz.png

and tsconfig.json
tsconfig.png

Thank you very much for your answer, that's something I didn't consider.

The problem was fixed when I added the barChart.ts to the tsconfig.json "files" member. I missed that I have to add everything to that file, as I'm pretty new to TypeScript. 

@ConnectedRoman,

Glad to hear that you've solved this problem. You may help mark it as answer. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.