Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edwardrmiles
Helper III
Helper III

Upload Excel workbooks to Workspaces programmatically

Is it possible to upload* Excel workbooks to Workspaces programmatically? I've has a look at the REST API documentation but haven't found anything

Basically I'm trying to overcome the problem of not being able to refresh an Excel workbook that uses Power BI as a data source when it has been uploaded to a Workspace (as described here in Chris Webb's blog). My thinking is I could refresh locally and publish to Power BI on a schedule

*Upload, not import i.e. the Excel online in Power BI type experience

2 REPLIES 2
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Where is the Excel File stored? Does the Excel file need to be replaced with different versions?

Power BI could sync the Excel file directly when the file is stored under OneDrive or OneDrive for Business (Package refresh).

But if here you would like to update the Excel file, it is not available through Power BI, or through Power BI Embeded API.

You may take a look at Microsoft Flow, to configure schedule update for the Excel files stored in OneDrive.

Regards,

Michael

@v-micsh-msft the Excel file will most likely be stored as a local file but could be OneDrive, however it's that automated publish which is important. This is beacuse you cannot refresh an Excel Workbook that has been uploaded to a Workspace.  

Automating refresh oustide of Power BI is quite straightforwdard (e.g. using Powershell or VBA) so if I can automate the publish to a Workspace part I can overcome the problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.