Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhonatas
Frequent Visitor

Update dataset published via Power BI API

Hello guys!

Today im doing some tests with Power BI API.

I already downloaded the console sample and the web sample. And created some datasets/reports to test.

I used the console app do do this, the option was "6 - Import PBIX Desktop file into an existing workspace".

This works good, but now my doubt is, how i can update the previosly created dataset?

Searching around i found the AddRows method but im afraid that this is not a trivial thing. In the examples i see they create a json with the new rows and add to the table. I think im misunderstanding something. When i update my desktop pbix file i dont know what is the new rows? Someone can help me here? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@jhonatas

You can do the update by re-importing the new pbix file.

There's an argument nameconfilict for PostImportWithFileAsync, and as per this github sample, the argument value "Overwrite" can be used to overwrite the already existing dataset. However "Overwrite" seems a invalid status code based on my testing and I haven't found the correct status code yet so far.

As a workaround, you might to use the PowerBI-Cli to overwrite, check Updating existing workspaces with a new pbix file #22.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@jhonatas

You can do the update by re-importing the new pbix file.

There's an argument nameconfilict for PostImportWithFileAsync, and as per this github sample, the argument value "Overwrite" can be used to overwrite the already existing dataset. However "Overwrite" seems a invalid status code based on my testing and I haven't found the correct status code yet so far.

As a workaround, you might to use the PowerBI-Cli to overwrite, check Updating existing workspaces with a new pbix file #22.

Yeah, nameConflict parameter works here!

At the beggining i was getting error when i have two files with the same dataset name.(idk, but this is possible), so the overwrite dont know what file to replace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors