Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update SSAS Live dataset connection via Power BI API

Hi All,

After publishing a report(SSAS Live) to the service, I am trying to access the report from my app and update the connection string using the code below but I always get an error "Operation returned an invalid code, "BadRequest"". The SetAllDatasetConnectionsInGroup worked fine for all DirectQuery reports we had. We are trying to switch over to SSAS for better performance.

P.S. I am trying to use the CustomData property of the SSAS connectionString to pass in the custom value for RLS

Snippet

try
{
    if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(connectionString))
    {
        var connectionDetails = new ConnectionDetails()
        {
            ConnectionString = connectionString
        };
        var powerBiClient = await _client.GetPowerBiClient();
        var response = powerBiClient.Datasets.SetAllDatasetConnectionsInGroup(groupId, datasetId, connectionDetails);
        LogHelper.LogInfo(string.Format("Dataset {0} in workspace {1} update with connection string {2}", datasetId, groupId, connectionString));

return TaskStatus.Completed;
    }
    else
    {
        LogHelper.LogError("Connection String cannot be null or empty");
        return TaskStatus.Failed;
    }
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
    LogHelper.LogError(ex);
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

After publishing a report(SSAS Live) to the service, I am trying to access the report from my app and update the connection string using the code below but I always get an error "Operation returned an invalid code, "BadRequest"". The SetAllDatasetConnectionsInGroup worked fine for all DirectQuery reports we had. We are trying to switch over to SSAS for better performance.

P.S. I am trying to use the CustomData property of the SSAS connectionString to pass in the custom value for RLS

Snippet

try
{
    {
        {
        };
        var response = powerBiClient.Datasets.SetAllDatasetConnectionsInGroup(groupId, datasetId, connectionDetails);
        LogHelper.LogInfo(string.Format("Dataset {0} in workspace {1} update with connection string {2}", datasetId, groupId, connectionString));

}
    else
    {
    }
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
    LogHelper.LogError(ex);
}

@Anonymous

AFAIK, it is a limitation. The underlying REST API Set All Connections only supports DirectQuery datasource, the SSAS live connection is not treated as DQ mode anyhow.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

Snippet

try
{
    {
        {
        };

}
    else
    {
    }
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
    LogHelper.LogError(ex);
}

@Anonymous

AFAIK, it is a limitation. The underlying REST API Set All Connections only supports DirectQuery datasource, the SSAS live connection is not treated as DQ mode anyhow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I really hope this is not the case...

Anonymous
Not applicable

You cannot update dataset connection string if you have  a  SSAS live connection report. We are struggling maintaining model per client.. its crazy!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have approximately 5000 individual reports, each with a specific connection string.  We need to change them to imported mode.  I can change the connection string while they are using direct query.  But they are sluggish as hell unless we change them to imported mode.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.