Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pangelino
Regular Visitor

Unauthorized response getting reports through groups endpoint of API

I'm using the Power API REST API to first retrieve groups that the logged in user has access to, and then to retrieve reports within those groups.  I can successfully retrieve reports through the https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/reports endpoint, but if I make the request through the https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{group_id}/reports endpoint with any of the retrieved group id's, I get a 401 - Unauthorized response.  I am sending the access token as an authorization header using the "Bearer {token}" format, the same as when I successfully retrieve reports independent of the group id.  Can anyone suggest what the problem is here?  Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Eric, in preparing to reply to you I finally discovered the problem.  In my C# code I was sending the HTTP request like this:

HttpWebRequest request = CreatePowerBiApiRequest("groups/{groupId}/reports", accessToken);

What I realized today is that I forgot the $ at the beginning of the string so that the string interpolation would occur.  It should have been like this:

HttpWebRequest request = CreatePowerBiApiRequest($"groups/{groupId}/reports", accessToken);

So the request was just statically sending the string "{groupId}" in the request instead of substituting in the actual group ID value.  Totally my bad! Smiley Embarassed

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@pangelino wrote:

I'm using the Power API REST API to first retrieve groups that the logged in user has access to, and then to retrieve reports within those groups.  I can successfully retrieve reports through the https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/reports endpoint, but if I make the request through the https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{group_id}/reports endpoint with any of the retrieved group id's, I get a 401 - Unauthorized response.  I am sending the access token as an authorization header using the "Bearer {token}" format, the same as when I successfully retrieve reports independent of the group id.  Can anyone suggest what the problem is here?  Thanks in advance!

@pangelino

Is the registered app with sufficient permissions? You can check the permission in Azure portal->Active Directory->App registrations. The delegated perssions count shall be 14.

Capture.PNG

Is your account a member of the workspace group?

@Eric_ZhangI'm still stuck on this.  Would you recommend that I open a ticket with technical support on this?

@pangelino

Is the groupid correct? Can you send the accesstoken in your case to me through a private message?

Eric, in preparing to reply to you I finally discovered the problem.  In my C# code I was sending the HTTP request like this:

HttpWebRequest request = CreatePowerBiApiRequest("groups/{groupId}/reports", accessToken);

What I realized today is that I forgot the $ at the beginning of the string so that the string interpolation would occur.  It should have been like this:

HttpWebRequest request = CreatePowerBiApiRequest($"groups/{groupId}/reports", accessToken);

So the request was just statically sending the string "{groupId}" in the request instead of substituting in the actual group ID value.  Totally my bad! Smiley Embarassed

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your reply @Eric_Zhang.  I should have mentioned that when I log into powerbi.com with the same account that I use to test the application, I can navigate through "Workspaces" (groups in the API), and can see and execute reports within them.  My application seems to see all the same groups, but is unauthorized to request reports through the groups/{group_id}/reports endpoint.

I have added all the permissions you noted below, even including one Application Permissions that you do not call out.  My Azure permissions on the app registration now look like this, but I still get the same 401 Unauthoorized response:

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 9.59.05 AM.png

Any other suggestions?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.