Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to use Rest API to Refresh power BI data source via PowerShell and Gateway

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to use the example code posted here to refresh my data sources in power BI through an established gateway via rest API. I am able to copy and paste the code into the PowerShell prompt window and it works but when I try to run it as a script it doesn't work. Even when I know the proper libraries are installed I continue to get the error: 

Invoke-RestMethod : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'â€Headers
System.Collections.Hashtable â€Method'.
At \\BN-NDIBISRVR01\Shared\PowerBI_Powershell_Script\Updated_Powershell_Script.ps1:119 char:1
+ Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri –Headers $authHeader –Method POST – ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Invoke-RestMethod], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeRestMethodCommand

I appreciate any help you can provide! I have included my code below but removed the dataset ID and client ID.

Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Import-Module AzureRM

$groupID = "me" # the ID of the group that hosts the dataset. Use "me" if this is your My Workspace

$datasetID = "730"
$clientId = "10" 

function GetAuthToken
{
       $adal = "${env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ServiceManagement\Azure\Services\Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.dll"

$adalforms = "${env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ServiceManagement\Azure\Services\Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.WindowsForms.dll"

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom($adal) | Out-Null

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom($adalforms) | Out-Null

$redirectUri = "urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob"

$resourceAppIdURI = "https://analysis.windows.net/powerbi/api"

$authority = "https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/authorize";

$authContext = New-Object "Microsoft.IdentityModel.Clients.ActiveDirectory.AuthenticationContext" -ArgumentList $authority

$authResult = $authContext.AcquireToken($resourceAppIdURI, $clientId, $redirectUri, "Auto")

return $authResult
}

# Get the auth token from AAD
$token = GetAuthToken

# Building Rest API header with authorization token
$authHeader = @{
   'Content-Type'='application/json'
   'Authorization'=$token.CreateAuthorizationHeader()
}

# properly format groups path
$groupsPath = ""
if ($groupID -eq "me") {
    $groupsPath = "myorg"
} else {
    $groupsPath = "myorg/groups/$groupID"
}

# refresh Field Booking Trends
# Refresh the dataset
$uri = "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/$groupsPath/datasets/$datasetID/refreshes"
Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri –Headers $authHeader –Method POST –Verbose

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I agree that it's a powershell issue but I thought I would post here since it was in relation to Power BI. I figured out the issue on my own. These are the two pieces of code I had to update to make the sample work (in case anyone is interested in doing this too):

$authHeader = @{
Authorization=$token.CreateAuthorizationHeader()
Content='application/json'
}

long dashes to short dashes:

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri -Headers $authHeader -Method POST -Verbose

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems to be that the issue is more related PowerShell, So I would suggest post it on PowerShell forum for better assistance. Smiley Happy

In addition, here is a similar thread for your reference.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

I agree that it's a powershell issue but I thought I would post here since it was in relation to Power BI. I figured out the issue on my own. These are the two pieces of code I had to update to make the sample work (in case anyone is interested in doing this too):

$authHeader = @{
Authorization=$token.CreateAuthorizationHeader()
Content='application/json'
}

long dashes to short dashes:

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri $uri -Headers $authHeader -Method POST -Verbose

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.