Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ats1958
Helper II
Helper II

The current report does not support providing effective user name

How do I change my dataset to support providing effective username? It's a SQL database on Azure.

4 REPLIES 4
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Could you please share more details about the data source (SQL database on Azure) here?

Are you using Azure Analysis Service here?

If it is Azure Analysis Service, there are two types of users, server administrators and database users. Both types of users must be in your Azure Active Directory and must be specified by organizational email address or UPN. To learn more, see Authentication and user permissions.

And the report shuld be able to use the Effective User Name with that.

For SQL Server Analysis Service stored in Azure VM, the VM should be joined into a domain, in order for it to work with the UPN.

More information, see:

Usernames with Analysis Services

Further, if you have a local domain and Azue AD available, you need to sync the account between those two directory.

Regards,

Michael

My datasource is just a SQL Database on Azure. The usernames I'm using are from ASP.net Identity and are in the form of GUIDs, rather than email addresses. 

To clarify, it is basically the same as SQL Server.

Update: I have tried using Azure SQL with both DirectQuery and Import. Is there a list somewhere of what dataset types support Effective Identity?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.