Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Some embedded tiles doesn't load, others load fine

Hello folks,

I wonder if I am missing something, but I cannot make all my reports and their tiles work embedding into my web application. I use the embed tile sample project from Git Hub, and everything seems to work fine. Except that one report's tiles load properly embedded into the iframe, others don't. When it doesn't work, the loading indicator circle is spinning in an infinite loop. There is no error message, nothing. The postActionLoadTile function is triggered by the onload of the iframe, I pass the access token, width, height, action: loadTile just as provided in the demo project. And still, for some reports it works, for others it doesn't.

I revised all the possible settings and configurations of the reports, and I couldn't find anything that made a difference.

I even created a plain simple dataset and report, but embedding that doesn't work either.

So I'm puzzled what am I doing wrong, or there is a bug in the system. I wonder if anybody has run into the same, or is it a known issue?

Cheers,

Tamás

Regular Visitor

Re: Some embedded tiles doesn't load, others load fine

Hi folks,

I debugged a little bit of the issue, and found where the error comes from:

The iframe of the embedded Power BI tile has an unhandled JavaScript error in the powerbivisualrenderer.js file. In the embeddingRenderTileById function it runs an AJAX get request to get the tile data, and its success event handler is run - so far so good. The result of the request is a JSON object, which is parsed and sent to the renderTitles function. This function parses the configuration data of the tiles, and throws an unhandled exception as the config property of the tile object is undefined.

So I took a look at this object and found that quite a few important properties are missing for those tiles, which fail to get rendered:

config

tileDataBinaryBase64Encoded

tileDataUpdatedTime

Here is a screeen shot from the developer toolbar from another request, when the tile was successfully loaded. When it fails, the highlighted items are missing. Then the PBI code attempts to use them and obviously it throws an error.

bug.png

So no error is thrown by Power BI, but an unhandled JavaScript exception is thrown. The data of the tile is not returned by the REST API call. I'm puzzled. It seems to be a bug in Power BI.

Any idea?

Regular Visitor

And just to add some salt to the situation, I found that none of the recently created tiles work for me. None. I created a few new ones from scratch for a brand new account, they don't work either. I wonder if there is anybody who has a recently created tile working when embedded.

Can anyone confirm?

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I can confirm.  I've been beating my head against a wall with this.  I've been trying to embed tiles into a UWP app and it's been working perfectly for the single sample tile I can find on the Internet and not working for anything I create . . . .

Can anyone *PLEASE* give me access to some old/pre-bug non-confidential samples?  I desperately need them for a sample program.  Thanks!

Regular Visitor

It is good to know that this bug doesn't occur only for me. It would be great to hear something about its fixing. If it is really generic as it looks, then it makes this feature of Power BI only a ghost. And completely useless...

Frequent Visitor

Regular Visitor

Hello vpat,

I checked you posts on the linked forum, but for me it doesn't seem to be related. The subject of this thread is the embedded tiles not loading at all. Regardless of the visualizations on them. Out of the box visuals with the simplest dataset don't work as embedded tiles. Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

Hi vidotom, can you please double check the type of the tile you are embeding. Unfortunatly at this moment we don't support embeding of model, workbook, and report tiles. If this is regular visual based tile, please let us know, so we can further investigate.

Hope this helps,

Irina

Occasional Visitor

Hello, I did not manage to reproduce your issue. Here are the steps I took.

Regular Visitor

Hello guys,

Indeed, it turned out that my new reports that don't work were report tiles. Individual visuals from those report work fine. So now I need to redesign the way the tiles are embedded into my application, but at least I can make them work.

However I didn't find any sign of the limitation of the tile types mentioned anywhere. Can you please point me to the documentation of the supported tile types? It would be important to know wheter the remaining type of tiles are going to be supported in the future, or we have to stick to those available right now.

Thanks,

Tamás