Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Kap
Regular Visitor

Replace Data Source

Hi.

I have built visualizations in power bi using excel files as source.

Now i have to connect that to Azure SQL datawarehouse, but my visualizations should be intact. It means just replace excel file to Azure data warehouse keeping everything same at visualization level.

Please let me know the steps how to do this.

6 REPLIES 6
jocaplan-MSFT
Employee
Employee

We support this currently for direct query sources only: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt711505.aspx. We are working on adding this to other types of sources as well.

I made the test with an "Direct Query" report and replaced tthe datasource to the actual "Azure SQL Database" but get an error

Code d'erreurDMTS_NoGatewayWithAllDatasourcesToBindError

Serverserverdbjoss.database.windows.net

There is no more information that that and I have no clue of what could be the preblem.

I have made a check that the SQL datbase was aceessible from Azure Cloud usign a test program on the serveer.

So the problem really seems to be with PBI Emebedded to get acess to the SQL database.

I miss information to understand the root cause of the problem (the Azure PBI admin console if not really usefull as DataSources are not visible).

Any help?

That's odd. The error makes it sound like you have more than one data source in that file. Can you please confirm that you only have 1? It can vary by table.

I confirm I have only 1 datasource. 

I managed to get a configuration working starting from a report using an SQL Database. I was able to update the datasource of the PBI Embedded report.

My testing so far:

• Report using an Oracle /mysql  data source: update of data source in workspace to use SQL Azure fails
  • Report using an Azure data source l data source: update of data source is successfull (update of credentials

I suspect the error occurs when the initial data source provider is different that the target one (Azure SQL)

Jeromebx
Frequent Visitor

I have the same requirement and no documentation can be found on this.

Has anybody succeeded to achieve this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems to be a common scenario, I am about to face a similar case with shifting from one database to the other (one staging environment to another staging environment, then eventually production). Is there a way to simple replace the connection string or something like that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors