Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rebecka
Frequent Visitor

RLS with Power BI Embedded and SSAS Multidimensional

Hi,

We're trying to do a POC with an web-app that will embed Power BI reports. When a user signs in, we want them to only be able to view the data that belongs to their organization. As a source we have a cube built with SQL Server Analysis Services Multidimensional. Embedding the reports are no problem. The problem is passing which user/organization is accessing the embedded report down to SSAS. I've found some posts about how to solve this with Tabular, but can't solve it for Multidimensional och everywhere I read I just see that this should be solved in the source, but not how.

Can someone explain this to me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rebecka
Frequent Visitor

Found the solution by myself at last...

If someone else is intrerested:

Setup a role in the Multidimensional database in SSAS. Choose 'Read definition' and 'Read' access on the cube of interest. Under dimension data chose the CUBE DIMENSION which you want to filter on. Pick the attribute of interest and under 'Advanced' and 'Allowed member set': type the following expression:

STRTOMEMBER('[Organization].[Organization Id].&[{'+CUSTOMDATA()+'}]')

and of course replace Organization and Organization Id with your dimension attributes.

And chose Enable Visual Totals if you don't want each organization to know the total in the measures.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rebecka
Frequent Visitor

Found the solution by myself at last...

If someone else is intrerested:

Setup a role in the Multidimensional database in SSAS. Choose 'Read definition' and 'Read' access on the cube of interest. Under dimension data chose the CUBE DIMENSION which you want to filter on. Pick the attribute of interest and under 'Advanced' and 'Allowed member set': type the following expression:

STRTOMEMBER('[Organization].[Organization Id].&[{'+CUSTOMDATA()+'}]')

and of course replace Organization and Organization Id with your dimension attributes.

And chose Enable Visual Totals if you don't want each organization to know the total in the measures.

devbv
Frequent Visitor

rebecka
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Yes, I've seen that. But if I understand it correctly it means that I should put up one role per customer? And I have around 1000 potential organizations as customers, and setting up one role per organization doesn't make sense. Isn't it possible to this dynamical in some way?

devbv
Frequent Visitor

Its not quite my area of expertise, so can't be precise. However, if you explore solutions to implementing cell level security on SSAS, they may help. I think the idea is that you would run your queries against SSAS in the context of the user accessing the reports (using an on-premise data gateway and Live Analysis Services Connection option). Within SSAS you will pick up the current user (from the context) and map to the appropriate set of data. There will require that there is already some sort of bootstrapping in place, i.e., the users are already AD users in the SSAS domain.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.