Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ganeshm
Frequent Visitor

RLS and Data Source in Power BI

Hello,

I have started using Power BI Embedded and got good results in embedding the report.

I have few questions though!

1) I see there are only two data sources (Azure SQL DataBase and Azure SQL Data Warehouse) supported right now. If I am wrong, can we connect to AWS RDS?

2) We want to filter the report visualizations and report filters based on the user logged in. With RLS, we need to set up lots of roles while generating report and maps the users to those roles. Also, there are lots of new roles and users getting created on a weekly basis and it will not be good to add rules in Power BI as and now. So, is there a better approach to this or I am missing anything? This functionality is the core to us and is there any option to send the roles/filtering options in JWT while creating the access-token.

3) What are the exporting features available except Visual-level Export (as .csv or .xlsx)? From the research we made, print and export as .ppt can be made from PowerBI service. Is there any way to export the report as .pdf or .jpeg/.png or dump the report resultset as a .csv as a whole?

Thanks in advance !!!

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@ganeshm wrote:

Hello,

I have started using Power BI Embedded and got good results in embedding the report.

I have few questions though!

1) I see there are only two data sources (Azure SQL DataBase and Azure SQL Data Warehouse) supported right now. If I am wrong, can we connect to AWS RDS?

2) We want to filter the report visualizations and report filters based on the user logged in. With RLS, we need to set up lots of roles while generating report and maps the users to those roles. Also, there are lots of new roles and users getting created on a weekly basis and it will not be good to add rules in Power BI as and now. So, is there a better approach to this or I am missing anything? This functionality is the core to us and is there any option to send the roles/filtering options in JWT while creating the access-token.

3) What are the exporting features available except Visual-level Export (as .csv or .xlsx)? From the research we made, print and export as .ppt can be made from PowerBI service. Is there any way to export the report as .pdf or .jpeg/.png or dump the report resultset as a .csv as a whole?

Thanks in advance !!!

1. There're two database, Azure SQL DB/DW are supported for DirectQuery mode. You can connect any datasource that is supported in Power BI Desktop in Import mode. For Amazon RDS, not familiar with it, I think you can connect to the individual databases via the individual connectors.

2. Maybe USERNAME() in RLS can mitigate the cumbersome. Otherwise we have to wait for the implementation of this idea Power BI Designer API.

3.No, You can check this idea Print and Export Embedded Reports through REST APIs and vote it up.

@Eric_Zhang Thanks for the reply.

Can I pass an extra param in JWT for embedding the iframe? Now, I am passing 'username' along with 'roles'. Is it possible to pass extra params in JWT so that I can make use of these params to filter the report.

Now: {"username": "Test User", "roles": "Admin"}

Expected: {"username": "Test User", "roles": "Admim", "customers": "A"}

With this, I need to use "customers" param to fitler the report based on Customer A only.

Also, Consider the "Test User" has access to 2 customers say A and B, I need to pass the customers tag like below.

{"username": "Test User", "roles": "Admim", "customers": "A,B"}

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.