Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

idof
Regular Visitor

Query string filters using table names with spaces

I'm using Power BI with the web-based report editor, to show Azure Audit Logs.

I managed to use query string filters for my other reports (app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/guid/reportsection?filter=table/column eq 'value'), but when I try to use it for the Azure Audit Logs dataset, it doesn't work.

I read somewhere that table names cannot have spaces, unfortunatelly, the name I get when I add the service has spaces in it.

I tried renaming the dataset, but the table name that shows in the report editor doesn't change, and still has spaces. 

What is the correct way to use query string filters in this case?

Thanks,

Ido.

10 REPLIES 10
FGutiyama
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerBI leverages OData syntax, so try to replace the space by _x0020_

God bless you! 🙂

Thank you!! This was a big sticking point for me and really helped!
I'm also stuck on the values filtering by a whole number (it works if its text, but the number... ) Any ideas on how to solve that? 

Organization/Organization_x0020_ID eq '12345'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. You showed an example of column name with spaces in column name but does it work with spaces in table name?

eg:

my table name is "Cliente Storico Segmentazione"

my column name is "Segmentazione"

but  Cliente_x0020_Storico_x0020_Segmentazione/Segmentazione doesn't seem to work .

😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had extra spaces..removing them now it works with _x0020_  also in table name!!!

Thanks a lot!

Fixed. Just drop the '  

Organization/Organization_x0020_ID eq 12345

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@idof

The space does stop the filter from working based on my test. Per my experience, appending a filter querystring is very limited. You can the same thing by applying a report-level filter. May I know why filter in url is prefered?

Capture.PNG

I want to create something like this:

1. Create an alert for a value

2. Use Microsoft FLOW to send an email when this value reached a threshold

3. In the email, include a URL to a different report, with a filter in the URL that matches the threshold value (greater than)

Is there an alternative on how to pass dynamic parameters to reports? without needing to manually filtering it?

@idof

I'm afraid there's no way then. By the way, in your original post, you said that renaming a table doesn't work, what is the exactly scenario?

I clicked the ellipsis next to the dataset and renamed it. However, when I click it to create a report, the name of the table remains with spaces. It seems the rename is only for display purposes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.