Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomorgan
Regular Visitor

Publishing an app to the world (in a store / as a link) without data

I hope I can explain what I'd like to do - it's hard to talk about but hopefully a common enough problem and I'm just missing something.

I've played with creating PowerBi Apps, and I understand that model. However, what I'd like to do is "publish" my app as something which anyone (not in my organisation, anyone anywhere) can add to their PowerBi instance.  When that happens, I don't want MY data in it, I want the user to be promted to fill out the dataset.

Example: let's say that I create some powerbi visuals which are useful for users of CMSApp1. Everyone who has CMSApp1 has their own local database instance in Azure.  I want to publish the visuals, and have the user specify the connection string when the add it to their tenant.

Bonus points if it shows up in some kind of searchable store or at the end of a "Get Apps" link collection or similar.

Thanks for you help.

-tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@tomorgan wrote:

I hope I can explain what I'd like to do - it's hard to talk about but hopefully a common enough problem and I'm just missing something.

I've played with creating PowerBi Apps, and I understand that model. However, what I'd like to do is "publish" my app as something which anyone (not in my organisation, anyone anywhere) can add to their PowerBi instance.  When that happens, I don't want MY data in it, I want the user to be promted to fill out the dataset.

Example: let's say that I create some powerbi visuals which are useful for users of CMSApp1. Everyone who has CMSApp1 has their own local database instance in Azure.  I want to publish the visuals, and have the user specify the connection string when the add it to their tenant.

Bonus points if it shows up in some kind of searchable store or at the end of a "Get Apps" link collection or similar.

Thanks for you help.

-tom

@tomorgan

You might need Power BI template, click “File –> Export –> Power BI Template”. See more in Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@tomorgan wrote:

Thanks for you help.

-tom

@tomorgan

You might need Power BI template, click “File –> Export –> Power BI Template”. See more in Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates.

Right, I'll take a look. Thanks for the steer!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors