Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

siacc
Advocate I
Advocate I

Publish a .pbix file in a local server. Is it possible?

Good evening. I have some questions for you.

I have a  MySQL database with data that unfortenely cannot be published in cloud (using Azure services/Power BI service/Power BI Embedded).

1) Is it possibile to use Direct Query having a MySQL database local instance, without using Services in cloud?

2) Is it possibile to publish .pbix files in a local server?

Thank you for your answers.

2 REPLIES 2
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@siacc wrote:

Good evening. I have some questions for you.

I have a  MySQL database with data that unfortenely cannot be published in cloud (using Azure services/Power BI service/Power BI Embedded).

1) Is it possibile to use Direct Query having a MySQL database local instance, without using Services in cloud?

Thank you for your answers.

@siacc

There's such feature in new SQL Server Reporting Service(SSRS) release that supports pbix file, which makes publishing a pbix to a on-premises server possible.  Check Power BI reports in SQL Server Reporting Services: January 2017 Technical Preview now available.

As this is new featuere in SSRS, for more details and further questions, I'd suggest your consult at the dedicated SSRS forum.

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

* there are 2 different questions here; 

- Direct Query is a method to control/model the data directly at the database.  If one does not use Direct Query then instead the data is imported into PBI and then modeled inside PBI.  So one does not need to use Direct Query at all but it can be a more efficient method in some cases.  I believe Direct Query is only compatible with SQL Server but I'm not 100% certain on this point...

- one never has to use the Service component of PBI - that is always totally optional - in regard to linking to data sources...

- the term 'publish' is not universal - but I will say the answer is no - in that there is no publish feature to a private web server direct from the pbix file.  Instead one would refer to the embedding where it is published to Service and then embedded into your web application. 

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors