Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

svenaik
Regular Visitor

PowerBI embedded - download .pbix file programatically

I am developing a client side webpart using PowerBI embedded feature using a Power BI Free Account. PowerBi embedded feature requires PBIX file to be uploaded in Microsoft Azure workspace.
When I schedule a data refresh for my dataset, the report gets refresh but the PBIX generated of particular dataset doesn't gets updated.
In order to display the refreshed data in my client side webpart, an updated PBIX file needs to be replaced with the older version of PBIX.
I am able to manually download PBIX file from PowerBI Service (https://app.powerbi.com/) using "Download Report (download a pbix copy)" from file menu and also able to import the PBIX file to Azure workspace.

But my issue is below:
1. How to programatically download PBIX file.
2. Is there any API published by Microsoft to export file from the PowerBI desktop.

Once we get the PBIX file programatically, we have the PowerBI-cli apis to import the PBIX to workspace.

4 REPLIES 4
lglima

svenaik, did you get a solution? i have the same problem.

RobSegoa
Regular Visitor

There is a PowerBI-CLI =]
https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-Cli 

Hugs!

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@svenaik

There's no official API to download the pbix file. You can submit your idea at Power BI Ideas and vote it up.

I also did some research, however I found it is a dead end. When downloading a pbix file, a GET request as below is actually called. I can re-do the GET request with the Bearer token in an API console like POSTMAN to download the pbix file, but the token would expire in one hour and a token generated from here can't access that request(401 error).

Capture.PNG

svenaik
Regular Visitor

I am developing a client side webpart using PowerBI embedded feature using a Power BI Free Account. PowerBi embedded feature requires PBIX file to be uploaded in Microsoft Azure workspace.
When I schedule a data refresh for my dataset, the report gets refresh but the PBIX generated of particular dataset doesn't gets updated.
In order to display the refreshed data in my client side webpart, an updated PBIX file needs to be replaced with the older version of PBIX.
I am able to manually download PBIX file from PowerBI Service (https://app.powerbi.com/) using "Download Report (download a pbix copy)" from file menu and also able to import the PBIX file to Azure workspace.

But my issue is below:
1. How to programatically download PBIX file.
2. Is there any API published by Microsoft to export file from the PowerBI desktop.

Once we get the PBIX file programatically, we have the PowerBI-cli apis to import the PBIX to workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.