Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

christiank

PowerBI Embedded problem with Direct Query on Azure SQL

Hi,

I have a Power BI Embedded report with an SQL Azure data source using the Direct Query method.

First I created a PBIX file using Power BI Desktop and then uploaded it using the Power BI Embedded sample app.

When embedding the report on a web page (using the JavaScript SDK), all visualizations of the report fail to load.

If I use the Import method instead of Direct Query on the same dataset, the visualizations show up fine.

Any ideas why Direct Query isn't working on SQL Azure datasources?

Do I have to provide the credentials for the data source somehow after uploading the PBIX file?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Direct Query is supported for the Embeded and you would need to configure the datasource after the import, here is how: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/mt711498.aspx

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/power-bi-embedded-get-started/

Hope this helps,

Irina

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

@irinag

Yes. I have done that. RLS worked fine when the source was SQL server table. But the visuals don't show up when the source is Azure SQL Data warehouse.

@vanessa

Ok now I understand your problem. Unfortunatly I haven't tried RLS in combination with Power BI Embedded... But it could be possible that there is a problem with this combination. Perhaps opening a support request could solve your problem.

I suppose you have already seen the example Power BI Embedded with RLS?

Hello, I am facing the same issue with direct query and an azure database. Where exactly do you set the Path Gateway Datasource?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.