Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomazk

PowerBI Embedded: Connection (Direct query) to SQL databases (onpremise)

Hello

As it seems to me, at the moment (after PowerBI Embedded became generaly available) it still does not support direct queries to SQL database (setup on premise or on VMs on Azure).

Please anybody correct me if this is supported and direct me to right direction (where can I see how to setup such environment).

In other case, is there maybe already a timeline, when and if this will be supported?

3 REPLIES 3
priyanthi

Hi, Is there any reply from MS on this. I'm basically using a Sql on VM Azure, then creating a Power Bi report using Direct Query connected to this Sql. I'm using power bi embed service to embed the report in my application. I have used the Provision Sample provided by the team and deployed the Report from PowerBi Desktop onto the WorkSpace. I'm now struggling with updating the connection string (point 7). When i run the web application i get error saying "No credentails for the data source".

Please let me know if the power bi embed is possible for direct query reports which uses Sql on VM Azure.

priyanthi

Hi, Please let me know if this feature has been incorporated. I'm basically using Sql on VM azure and then creating a direct query report. This report im trying to embed using Power Bi embed Service. I get a "data source has no credentials " error. Please help me on this.

shay_cullen
Regular Visitor

Any response on this from MS?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors