Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power PB Embedded - Data Access via oData / Large Multi-tenant SaaS system

Prototyping BI for embedded dashboards. Our system is a multi-tenant (large), distributed across 4 Azure zones, using SQL Elastic sharding for data access (many shards). All data access is "protected" via API, which ensures tenancy filtering etc;

1. I cannot understand if PowerBI Embedded support oData

2. RLS is a non-starter, due to the large qty of tenants and dynamic growing tenants, as  near as I can understand.

3. I really just want to pass the SSO token (or username / pass) to Power BI embedded, and then that will ensure correct tenancy based filtering.

4. Has anyone solved this type of usage with BI embedded ?

1 REPLY 1
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous wrote:

Prototyping BI for embedded dashboards. Our system is a multi-tenant (large), distributed across 4 Azure zones, using SQL Elastic sharding for data access (many shards). All data access is "protected" via API, which ensures tenancy filtering etc;

1. I cannot understand if PowerBI Embedded support oData

2. RLS is a non-starter, due to the large qty of tenants and dynamic growing tenants, as  near as I can understand.

3. I really just want to pass the SSO token (or username / pass) to Power BI embedded, and then that will ensure correct tenancy based filtering.

4. Has anyone solved this type of usage with BI embedded ?

1. You could use any data source those are supported in Power BI desktop. However, as of now, there's no way to schedule refresh the dataset in Power BI Embedded. And only Azure SQL database&warehouse supports DirectQuery mode.
    So if oData is preferred in your case, to refresh, you would manually refresh the data in the pbix file and re-import.
  2. Regarding 2&3, Row level security with Power BI Embedded looks promising, why you think it is a non-starter? Or alternatively try to apply filter  when embedding.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.