Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MbProg
Helper II
Helper II

Power Bi Push not on exisiting dataset possible

Hello, I was able to create a dataset and push data to the new created dataset (as described in the tutorial).

But is Power BI not able to push to a dataset that I have imported in my Power BI Service via a pbix file? Because as I do that, I am getting an error

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chass
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Just ran into the same issue and did some research and it looks like it is a fairly common issue. 

Have asked the Dev Team to look into adding this to their backlog...but no promises

Chuck Sterling

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Hmm, haven't tried that one but it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. I am assuming here that in the Service you did "Get Data" and then pointed it to a PBIX file and imported it. And then you opened the PBIX file in Desktop and tried to overwrite it using "Publish"? What is the error that you are getting?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler

No, first at all I imported my data in Power BI Desktop and did all the modelling, which have been a lot of work and complicated. Then I imported the pbix file in Power Bi Service. Now I want to update one table in the dataset with Power BI API and push data from a source to it, to show live data on my dashboards. But it didn't work.

Then to test what the problem is I created a very simple dataset with just one table (and three fields) with Power BI API and pushed data on it, which of course works.

Then I created exactly the same dataset and table in Power BI Desktop (table with just three fields) and exported it and imported it in Power BI Service. Then I tried to push the same data to it. But I recieve error message: the remote server returned an error (400) bad request.

So does it not work in Power BI?

I'm confused by your wording with "importing". The process I follow is to create a PBIX file in Desktop, use File | Publish to publish it to the Service. I can then, later, update the report and use File | Publish to publish the file again to the Service, it recognizes that there is a Dataset, etc. with the same name and asks me if I want to replace it. I indicate yes and it updates the dataset. Definitely works, I've done it dozens if not hundreds of times.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler

Of course you can do that and it works, and then you can create dashboards... in Power BI Service. But that is not what I am talking about.

I say, after publishing your data in Power BI service (after publishing your dataset from Power BI Desktop in Power BI service which works definitely), now I want to push data to this dataset with Power BI REST API. And that does not work!

I recieve an error message: the remote server returned an error (400) bad request. It just works if I create the dataset on my own with Power BI REST API from scratch.

Have you ever tried that? Is that not possible? I mean that should be possible and I don't understand why that is not working. Because I do all my modeling in Power BI desktop (unpivoting, converting the types of my columns, renaming...) and some of them are not possible with Power BI REST API. So I want to send my data via Power BI REST API to the dataset that I have created in Power BI Desktop and imported in Power BI Service. I hope now you understand what I am talking about.

OK, I understand your issue now. From your original post, I didn't see any mention of the REST API so I missed that component of your issue. Now that I understand what you are talking about, let me see what I can test or dig up in that regard.

Latest book!:

chass
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Just ran into the same issue and did some research and it looks like it is a fairly common issue. 

Have asked the Dev Team to look into adding this to their backlog...but no promises

Chuck Sterling

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.