Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alexander24
Helper II
Helper II

Power BI Embedded query parameters

Hi There, 

Can someone advise if you can pass query parameters into a power bi embedded application, 

I am using an API as a data source, i.e i would like an end user to be able to type a parameter which will call the correct data source in the API call

I cant pull in all the data and use RLS, as the data is coming from Facebook API

Thanks

Alexander

4 REPLIES 4
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Alexander24 wrote:

Hi There, 

Can someone advise if you can pass query parameters into a power bi embedded application, 

I am using an API as a data source, i.e i would like an end user to be able to type a parameter which will call the correct data source in the API call

I cant pull in all the data and use RLS, as the data is coming from Facebook API

Thanks

Alexander

1. There's no such parameter feature in Power BI Embedded.
  2. The facebook data in Power BI Embedded won't refresh after uploading to azure workspace. Not to metion accepting a parameter and calling the API to retrive individual data. For "refresh" feature, at this moment, only Direct Query mode to Azure SQL DB/DW are supported. Check more in Power BI Embedded FAQs.

So a promising apporach for your case I can think of is pulling all the data,  for example, create a C# console application calling the facebook API and send/update data in a Azure SQL DB, set the application running in a certain interval. And then creating a report connecting to Azure SQL DB and apply RLS accordingly.

Hi Eric, 

Just thinking on this, do you know how you would pull all of the facebook page api data instead of just using one page as normally done in power bi, have you seen this done before?

Thanks

Alexander

Thanks Eric, that could be a possibility, just not sure the scalability of pulling in all the facebook pages data, also would be good if the data was live as well, 

Anyway thanks for the heads up and advice, 

Much Appreciated

Alexander

@Alexander24 wrote:

Thanks Eric, that could be a possibility, just not sure the scalability of pulling in all the facebook pages data, also would be good if the data was live as well, 

Anyway thanks for the heads up and advice, 

Much Appreciated

Alexander

@Alexander24

Just keep one eye on the Power BI Blog, probablly there'll be some new feature for refreshing in Power BI embedded in May.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.